El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking the truck in and having the carb. rebuilt again the truck still wasn't running correct. So sat. I went back to the shop and asked if they checked for manifold leaks and he said no. That was the first thing on the printed out work order what happened? I didn't have time to listen why, I know why it's normal now people don't pay attention or just don't care. So iI put new manifold gaskets on but didn't help. The truck seemed to be running to cool to me with a 195 fail safe it never reached that temp. I was out yesterday and stopped and bought a new thermostat as a last ditch try before I dropped it off Monday at the shop. That was the problem it was stuck open so after replacing it I'm running perfect with all the HP a 350 with smog can give.
There's a short video on how it sounds,:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:
Thanks for all the support and help through my first motor swap and for Rich to give up his weekends to help.

click on picture.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..sounds great,can't wait to see the fine job you did..:beer:
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I can't wait to see what MPG she gets on a straight run to Pismo. Should get a true reading at freeway speeds for 200mi. + with Todd checking also with his new performance motor and my stock 350 260hp we can see what the difference between the two and bring back some info for everyone to see what they might or even us need to make it a little better.
Robert.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey Robert,
Are you running a motor oil with ZDDP zinc additive. If your motor is flat tappet you should be. I am running Valvoline VR1. Found it at Napa for $6 a quart. That's about the cheapest I have found these better quality oils.
RTT

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey Robert,

Congratulations on a successful build.

Looks and sounds outstanding !! :beer:

Arnie in Iowa

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Robert,
Are you running a motor oil with ZDDP zinc additive. If your motor is flat tappet you should be. I am running Valvoline VR1. Found it at Napa for $6 a quart. That's about the cheapest I have found these better quality oils.
RTT
I'm running Lucas break-in additive and Quaker State 10/40

Thanks everyone I knew a mechanic was a waste of money.:poke:

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a difference for a mechanic to a good automotive technician...if you were closer to me I would have gladly diagnoses it and adjusted for you...

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Sorry about your auto tech problem. Sucks to pay for good service and not get it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just found my extra 100hp they had my timing set at 0-BTDC so I set it at 6-BTDC and let her warm up to 195 hit the gas and was
if you know what I mean. What a difference in response time from pedal to the wheels it was instant go. Now the sound of the new muffler matches the HP of the motor. Don't know if i can blow anybody away but I know there's something under me.
I'm happy now. What's next the front end?

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Great job!!!!!:nanawrench:
You know your next Test will have to be a trip to Texas after Pismo!!!!:beer:
Donny

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Robert,
Great job also on the instruments - what brand are they ?
Thanks, leadmine

Dakota Digital 6 years on dirt roads and never an issue yet. I stand by their product. This thing probably wash your cloths also. It will. tell you everything your engine is doing even clock the 1/4 mile then down load it to your computer. Plugs right into the wire harness.

www.Dakotadigital.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts