El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Sprint for a nice jaunt today after finally getting it registered and plated.
Afterwards I hear this sucking/bubbling noise so I get down to look underneath and this is what I see. :dontknow:

I know it's anti-freeze but why is it leaking this far back?
Wouldn't it be leaking from the front?
Hopefully it's just a cheap hose I need to replace?

What should I do?

Thanks for any and all help guys.!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Probably a freeze plug. The ones behind the exhaust are a pain to see. There are also some on the back of the block that will leak down and come out between the engine and trans. If you can borrow a cooling system pressure tester, add pressure and try to see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leak isn't terrible, but it's enough that I can't drive a lot cause it will most likely empty the radiator soon.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
If you have any luck it's one on the side, but if you don't then you'll need some cause the others are no fun.
Good Luck
Donny

·
Registered
27 Posts
With it running down the frame like that, I'd suspect the heater core first. cooling system pressure testers are dirt cheap, and easy to use. just be cautious not to exceed 18PSI.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If its a freeze plug.it will be behind the starter,you will need to remove the starter to make the repair,the leak is kind of away from that area,:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
With it running down the frame like that, I'd suspect the heater core first. cooling system pressure testers are dirt cheap, and easy to use. just be cautious not to exceed 18PSI.
X2

Could be a split in the tube of the core itself or just a bad hose. As suggested, bypass the core.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Good luck with it buddy! Pressure test pressure test pressure test is good advice! So is bypassing heater core. Use a flushing tee and 2 NEW clamps to do that. And if it turns out to be a freeze plug...Do yourself a favor and replace all when you do the fix. Although that one you can't get to easy is the usual suspect...the others are old and used the same.

:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
The heater core is the part that the hot coolant goes thru to give heat into the cab & they will leak coolant !! They get old & leak & will need to be replaced !! You should see 2 hoses hooked up to it from the engine & it looks something like this !!
It's located in the firewall !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya know what? I think the guy I bought it from DID replace the hoses and bypassed it cause some mice ate through the hose...... maybe he did it wrong?
Okay, that makes sense now, I will have to check it out. :nanawrench:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
you might want to invest in a service manual for your elky.

I hope this link takes you to rothautobooks.com

http://store.rothautobooks.com/s4046.html

One of these will help you and along with asking questions here on NECOA, you will learn what you need to know about your cruck.

I'd search the rothautobooks site to see if they actually have a book specific for the GMC Sprint too, although I doubt there is too much difference between the Chevy and GMC versions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts