El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966 el camino
327 engine i think

i dont know much but i want my car to be nice so i would like to know what i should do

i saw a torque converter on amazon.com and am wondering if i should get it please help
:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think you should sell it to me for $1. lol. A torque converter is for an automatic trans, it acts like a clutch for standards. If you have an automatic trans you already have a torque converter.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Post some pics and I am sure people wouldn't mind telling you what you should do. But just remember, its your car and you do what you want to do. Even if its not popular. For instance, I will be doing some work on my 305 this year to get a little more power. I have a #'s matching car and would like to keep it that way. But the first thing most peeps on here, will tell me to throw away the 305 and put in a 350 or 383.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have any pics as of yet its at my gpas right now
and i want it to have quite a bit for horse power
o and maybe every now and then haul a quad

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Since you said the magic word "horsepower", everyone will be telling you to yank out the 327 and put in a 350 or 383 or big block. You stirred it up now. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol ya i thought bout the new engine but i need a job to save up money first lol

but i want it to look and sound mean
and have the muscle to back it up to

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Since you said the magic word "horsepower", everyone will be telling you to yank out the 327 and put in a 350 or 383 or big block. You stirred it up now. lol
To each is own, I like 327's far better then 350's. Nice running and reving little small block

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
yea keep that 327 everyone has a 350. a torque converter wont get you any increase in power. it seems like your new to this so id first learn how to give it a good tune up then once you get comfortable getting your hands dirty then start up with the performance mods.

·
Registered
135 Posts
327 is a good motor. An aftermarket intake manifold(and possibly a new carb) is usually a pretty good place to start, and along with a set of headders and a high flow muffler can make a pretty sweet sounding and running motor with out breaking the bank. The motor essentially is an air pump, and the easier it can suck air in, and then pump the air out, the better it will run( and the more power it will make

bb

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
save the 327 with matching numbers is worth more than sticking a 350 non matching numbers.just my $.02 worth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you and i know principle operation for engines lol
i like working on stuff like bikes cars havent got to work on motorcycle or dirtbike but for normal bikes everyone comes to me
they ask me bout cars cause i know way more about them then they do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts