El Camino Central Forum banner

i finish what started as a "will it fit ?"

18K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  R/T 
#1 ·
well it took me a total of four hours cause i couldnt operate e dremel drill !! so what do u guys think ??

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

See less See more
#4 ·
I like high tech gadgets as much as the next guy, and it looks like you did a really nice job, but I gotta ask about the legality of having a video screen that can be seen by the driver...I believe it's not legal to do this in my state...if it's on while the vehicle is in motion. I think I'd prefer to just kick back at home in my La-Z-Boy and watch a DVD on my home theater entertainment system and not have to worry about running my entertainment room into the backend of somebody else.

#6 ·
I mounted a monitor in the center vent a while back mainly to use as a "display" however it would only work on cd's played through the dvd player (I certainly would never watch dvds while driving!). The new one I am installing is actually a touch screen that will display as well as control all functions of the cd, AM/FM and satellite radio. It only took me one instance of drifting off the shoulder 8O while looking at the "way too low to be safe El Camino radio mounting location" to tell me it would be worth the effort. :) (most people don't even notice it is there unless it is on)

#7 ·
That looks kinda neat although it looks like you sacrificed some AC vents. That'd be a problem for me where I live.

If you want to make it safe why not mount one of those tiny backup cameras on the rear and pipe it into that display. Then if a cop stops you, you can just flip on the camera and show him how safe you are!

Just a thought..

:D

#8 ·
theelcaminofactory said:
I gotta ask about the legality of having a video screen that can be seen by the driver...I believe it's not legal to do this in my state.
It is illegal to speed, illegal to litter (includes throwing out cig butts), illegal to run a red light, illegal not not wear seatbelt, illegal in some states to have NOS, illegal to remove emissions control, illegal in some states to talk on cell phone, et, etc, etc people still do all of the above anyway and know the risks of commiting the "crime" it is when they get caught they are pissed but they were the ones that made the choice to do what they wanted, most of the time (except for speeding) these "laws" are rarely enforced, thus people will continue to break them I am guilty of all of the aforementioned illegaties :) and I understand where you come from as well. I installed a tv in my show car primarily to have something to do at car shows after I have browsed and am waiting to get a trophy, but I have also been known to have a movie playing on a long road trip. Anyway enough rambling, just wanted to offer a different point of view

#9 ·
Let's play with this since I find it amusing when I see it in posts.

Hee hee, that was fun.

Don't get mad at me I'm just curious, won't happen again!

#10 ·
Tuggy24g said:
Hey man nice work on the El Camino. It looks pretty cool, but please do not take this the wrong way. I think it look stupid and I would never do that. I think putting that kind of stuff in any old car let alone your El Camino is like turning it into a ricer. El Camino are the one car that is so different then anything that was ever made. To put this kind of stuff I think is getting away from what the EL Camino is all about. They made DVD players and other Potty Mouth like that for the Honda Toyota cars aka imports. Leave that Potty Mouth for the imports aka ricers with that stuff. American muscle is about look original and going fast!

All of this is my option

I live in CALI !!! MAAAAN, anything GOES !! and i plan to put some 22"s and maybe droppin it a little bit and going with the butterfly doors !! ITS ALL ABOUT THE BLING BLING !! JK !!
actually, im planning to take it out ! that Potty Mouth got on my nerves already !!

#12 ·
Mr Marv said:
I mounted a monitor in the center vent a while back mainly to use as a "display" however it would only work on cd's played through the dvd player (I certainly would never watch dvds while driving!). The new one I am installing is actually a touch screen that will display as well as control all functions of the cd, AM/FM and satellite radio. It only took me one instance of drifting off the shoulder 8O while looking at the "way too low to be safe El Camino radio mounting location" to tell me it would be worth the effort. :) (most people don't even notice it is there unless it is on)

YUP !!! imma go this guys direction !! ^^^^

#13 ·
W!cKeD_ElK0 said:
well it took me a total of four hours cause i couldnt operate e dremel drill !! so what do u guys think ??
Lookin good man. I plan on putting a 10ish" flat panel (touch screen) in the dash and relocating the a/c controls

I have a 81 elco with corvette motor/suspension, lots of work in it so farm trying to get it running, then will move on towards, the interior mods.... car will be a daily-driven show stopper, my own thread and links to follow within the next few weeks

#24 ·
Lookin good man. I plan on putting a 10ish" flat panel (touch screen) in the dash and relocating the a/c controls

I have a 81 elco with corvette motor/suspension, lots of work in it so farm trying to get it running, then will move on towards, the interior mods.... car will be a daily-driven show stopper, my own thread and links to follow within the next few weeks
thought i would wake up my old, prob first post from nearly two years ago, cause it took me this long to start working on one of my el co.s lol.. anyhow, got around to doing what i set out to do and started my thread...

81 elco gone, 87 and 84 here now... anyhow, hope everyone is doing well...

#14 ·
GTSDesigns said:
Welcome to ECC Gerald. You should introduce yourself in the New members section too.

W!cKeD_ElK0 - sorry to hijack your thread.

#15 ·
I disagree with tuggy no offense but today's generation of american muscle, chevy classics, and any type of muscle for that matter are all about speed and how noticeable you can make it. When I go to a car show and see a chevy muscle or classic with a loud sound system, in-dash display, 24" asanti rims, a big 454, etc. I find it very appealing as well as many people in the new age. Not saying that an older gentleman or woman for that fact can't have all this but it's a new age of automobile customization. All in all, the editing of a car is in the eye of the beholder and I can see where you're coming from. :cool:

G
#16 ·
KingOfPersia said:
I disagree with tuggy no offense but today's generation of american muscle, chevy classics, and any type of muscle for that matter are all about speed and how noticeable you can make it. When I go to a car show and see a chevy muscle or classic with a loud sound system, in-dash display, 24" asanti rims, a big 454, etc. I find it very appealing as well as many people in the new age. Not saying that an older gentleman or woman for that fact can't have all this but it's a new age of automobile customization. All in all, the editing of a car is in the eye of the beholder and I can see where you're coming from. :cool:
Thanks man I guess we do noy think alike :/

#18 ·
It's your car and you can do whatever you want with it. That said what one chooses to "dress" it with is a matter of personal taste and practicality. If you're into mobile sound systems that can start an earthquake then you're going to mod whatever you're driving. If you're into no compromises performance then you'll probably be lucky to have an upholstered seat let alone a radio.

I know when I bought my Mustang I made it clear that I didn't want all the extra crap they like to throw in cars. It's still got options but they're all standard. Nothing extra on the sticker under the "options" column. I still have a decent stereo, great paint job, nice american V8 and a 5 speed Manual. I wanted more of a performance feel than a luxury ride.

Plus I didn't end up with an extra 50 pounds and 1000.00 out of my pocket for an overblown sound system that I'd never use. I also know I got a bit of an edge over the other Stangs like mine out there who have all that extra crap on it. For one thing My car is like 150 pounds lighter without the stereo and the automatic tranny which is good for about 2/10th's in the quarter if you do the math.

That assumes I can drive it right of course... :p

Anyway It's a matter of personal taste. I think the monitor install looks as nice as any I've seen in newer cars.

#19 ·
Nice work Mr Marv, very clean install

Has given me an idea of a mounting point for my screen.

Did you have to totally remove your dash to make the opening and assist with the install?

As some have mentioned its your car, rims, paint job accessories...

I am currently trying to get my 78 Elk on the road in Australia as a daily driver and will be transplanting my carputer from my current car into it.

Yes have read a few post from a while back when a guy got bagged for talking about installing a carputer into his elk.

Mine will be a simple install of a laptop and touch screen running through an amp, give me GPS, reversing camera my entire music collection (8000 songs), blue tooth connection for my phone.

When working in Melbourne I drive 1.5 hours to work and 1.5 home.
Last year I racked up 60,000 kms, went with install mainly because after 15 hours of driving a week the amount of cd's in my car was over whelming and just got sick of changing them again again again.
Now i press random from the blues play list and still dont have a chance of hearing a repeat for another 4 months...

Mr Marv, I like your style, I hope your DVD player will play MP3's then at least your can have 8 - 10 albums on one disc which should keep you happy driving for a while.

#20 ·
oz camino said:
Nice work Mr Marv, very clean install

Has given me an idea of a mounting point for my screen.

Did you have to totally remove your dash to make the opening and assist with the install?

As some have mentioned its your car, rims, paint job accessories...

I am currently trying to get my 78 Elk on the road in Australia as a daily driver and will be transplanting my carputer from my current car into it.

Yes have read a few post from a while back when a guy got bagged for talking about installing a carputer into his elk.

Mine will be a simple install of a laptop and touch screen running through an amp, give me GPS, reversing camera my entire music collection (8000 songs), blue tooth connection for my phone.

When working in Melbourne I drive 1.5 hours to work and 1.5 home.
Last year I racked up 60,000 kms, went with install mainly because after 15 hours of driving a week the amount of cd's in my car was over whelming and just got sick of changing them again again again.
Now i press random from the blues play list and still dont have a chance of hearing a repeat for another 4 months...

Mr Marv, I like your style, I hope your DVD player will play MP3's then at least your can have 8 - 10 albums on one disc which should keep you happy driving for a while.
Thanks! :) I didn't have to remove the dash rather I just removed the heater/air conditioning controls and the glove box so I could work through those spaces to remove the trim. It took me a while to find a high quality monitor that fit but I finally found this one which actually had the exact cutout height to fit right between the silver stripe. After cutting out the vent I blocked the opening behind it with a piece of thin aluminum and insulation. Unfortunately my new touch screen display idea didn't work out as planned (I found out ribbon cables don't like to be extended very far :( ) so I am now working on "Frankensteining" a wired marine remote display to work with the current monitor so it displays the same info as the headunit display. I am also in the process of re-doing the entire system yet again 8O (I'm using all Pioneer Premier Reference Series and Polk Audio Signature Reference Series components) and I'll post a thread with all the details of the build including the monitor install as soon as I can.

#21 ·
Doch said:
W!cKeD_ElK0... out of curiosity, why are you taking it out? What got on your nerves about it?

Also... how did you mount it?
what i mean is that the screen is too bright. when im parallel parkin, the brightness disturbs your vision. tho i work the swing shift, and i get home around midnight and its dark as hell. and the way i mounted it ? i added some mickey mouse bracket on the bottom to support the weight of the radio. there is some cutting involve. as u cut you'll see what part of the vent system stays and goes. its not that hard at all !!

#22 ·
The screen was interesting, but i still go with the belief that if you can fully hear your radio over your exhaust, there is some work to be done :)

now to totally contradict with what i just said, if that was a GPS, that would be awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.