El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the other day, me and my brother were helping my uncle and aunt move, and I saw an el camino for sell. I got the phone number, and we called them earlier today, and we're gunna go see it. It belongs to an old couple, and they have had it for a while. I've been driving by it for years, but just noticed it a couple of months ago. I don't know the year of it, but the guy said it has a new v8 in it. It has the "Conquista" package. They gut said that it needs some interior work, but ruds good. I'll get more info on it tomorrow, and will hopefully have some pics of it. I'm pretty sure its the last generation they made el caminos( I think its 5th generation, sorry, but I don't know much about them yet.). Can any of you tell me what years they made the conquista package. Its Grey and maroon if that helps. If I get it I'll prolly paint it. They are asking $3500. I think that I can prolly get them down to 3000. thanx.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
$3000 sounds reasonable if it's rust free. Get underneath and take a real good look, especially along the backend, from the rear axle and back (underside of bed, frame, body mounts etc), and check the quarterpanels in front and behind the rear wheels, these are the places where the rust usually starts from all the road crud being thrown up there by the rear wheels over the years. If possible put it up on an auto rack to take a look at these areas, if not possible don't be afraid to get on your back and crawl underneath. Don't do this in the dark, you might miss something!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got back from lookin at it about 30 minutes ago. It was in pretty good condition, except for some cracking in the dash, and seat. It also had a dent on the back beside the tailgate, where some surface rust had begun, and the only other rust I saw on it was in the bed where there was some scratches that rusted, but that was just surface rust. It had a new engine with a new carburator, with only 50 miles on each. It had a new muffler, and 4 new tires. It also had a re worked transmission. It is a 1980. It had the 267ci. v-8(I'm pretty sure thats what it was) engine. I'm not going to buy it, but if any of yall would like the phone number, I'd be happy to give it to any of you. An old couple owns it, and they were very nice, they let me and my brother drive it around the neighborhood, and were honest about it. It looks like a great buy, but I'm holding out for an ss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts