El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought a tune up for my 86, and I figured until I could afford a new dist, I may as well tune this one up. It ran alright, but I usually tune a vehicle up shortly after buying it just for peace of mind. When I got to the cap and rotor, I couldn't believe what I saw. I've seen cracks in caps, and rotors for that matter. I've seen some pretty fouled out wires as well, but there is usually an indication, like a miss. This thing ran fine, but the center point that makes contact with the rotor and the cool was blown to pieces. I have been wondering the whole time that I have owned this car how it had been running so well. As you guys know the previous owner swapped out the quadrajet for an edelbrock, and everyone has been mentioning that the dist needs to read the carb for the timing advance. When I saw this I kind of figured that it had to have something to do with it. Sure as snot, as soon as I replaced the cap and rotor, it started running like ****. It's all over the place, it was running like it was way retarded, and the next minute running like it was way advanced. Needless to say, a new dist is in my very near future. Here are some pics! Pretty crazy stuff.

http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/jimbo91291/library/My 86 el camino

1 - 4 of 4 Posts