El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was thinkin about getting a 1990 iroc z 305 carbeurated :/ how hard would it be to switch it to a 350 tpi or tbi? could it just be a motor swap or what? if the motor came with the harness and computer what do i do? the iroc has a computer cause it has a chip on it but its carbed...sorry its not a el camino but you guys usually help me out alot

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
no 90 iroc came with a carb all were tpi cars,all camaros after 87 were efi of some sort.it should be simple to put it back as it was originally

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm just wondering how poorly that camaro must be running with carb swapped on to it. Could be an easy fix, depending on how badly is was hacked to run it in its condition. Might be easier and cheaper to find an unmolested 80's-90's tpi/tbi engine to swap in instead

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
1990 could have came throttle body or tuned port. Either way, a correct set of matching components is critical to run properly including cam choice in current engine.First off if the iroc still has a computer &( a mess of unused wiring under the hood) , you may be able to use most of it. The computer should have a part # that a parts store could verify. Also could use the vin #.
As far as finding a good condition 350 tpi complete setup, that could be a little hard now at the age their getting. Few factory setups , other than vette were 350 tpi.
This is also a labor of love type of project.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i read the performance package came with a carb on iroczone.com this iroc has the package

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
JL most IROC's were factory TPI cars, the TBI's are few and far in between

1 - 7 of 7 Posts