El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I had starting issues a few weeks ago and replaced the starter on my 84 Elky (305 Motor). Prior to the vehicle not starting one morning, I had been hearing a loud clicking sound during cold starts. After rplaceing the starter, the loud clicking sounds continued on cold starts. Now today, the starter will not turn over and i am hearing a rapid clicking sound. I assume the ignition switch is faulty.
How do I replace an ignition switch on an 84 Elky? It's broke down in a parking lot!
RTT

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Rapid clicking sounds more like a run down battery. Did you try jump starting it? Check all your cables, battery positive to starter, wires on the solenoid, ground, etc. Make sure all are tight and battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to go back and try to jump it next but the funny thing is that the battery does not seem week during cold starts??? how many volts should a strong battery read without a load and with a load?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Already been said but check battery condition and all battery and ground connections to see if they are tight and not corroded.

Good luck.:beer:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I get somebody to jump start my ELKY and it did get mine to crank and start (barely). The guy noticed that my negative battery lead is small gauge and is grounded to the alternator bracket. When I cranked the car that lead started smoking from heating up. He said it should be grounded to the block and larger gauge. Where on an 84 should the ground be attached. Frame or block and where?
Thanks,
RTT

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
Mines on the front of the block ! You can see it to the right of the header !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the factory spot is on the lower alt bracket.if its smokeing its either dirty or bad or loose. the factory cable is a 4 gauge, pretty thin but will turn it over fine if clean and tight.i always replace the factory cables with 2 gauge welding cable. and always good current flow. pull the end off and look at the copper wires near the terminal that screws to the alt bracket. if they are black instead of looking like copper replace it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
I thought the clicking sound was from the automatic choke or something to do with the fuel?:dontknow: When I replaced my starter it was like the domino effect at first it started good then nothing then start. Changed the solenoid it started for a couple of days then the same problem. Last but not least it was the control module under the dist. cap.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Ground, ground & ground!!! I run one to the block, 1 to the fender, and separate one from the frame to the motor!!! You can't have too many grounds!!!
Donny

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Ground, ground & ground!!! I run one to the block, 1 to the fender, and separate one from the frame to the motor!!! You can't have too many grounds!!!
Donny

That's the way mine is and I didn't put them there must be factory. I was wondering why I had three.:texas:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Non starter.

New heavy gauge battery cables with a good cleaning of all connection points please.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
I do have another wire from battery ground to the fender !!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OK, I'm going to save you (and anyone else who reads this and takes the advice.

The one place you absolutely have to have the best possible electrical connections on your car is at your starter. The hot leads are usually not a problem (although they can be), but the grounds can be a real bear.

So... Run a good-sized ground strap from one of your starter bolts to your frame. Run another one from your battery to your frame.

You'd be amazed how many phantom electrical problems this will solve. You do NOT want to find out what happens when your starter tries to ground through your shifter linkage.

And I'm going to give you a hint on why your starter would work a few days each time you replaced a part. It's because the new bolt or whatever improved the ground, until the natural corrosion under the head of the bolt/screw weakened the connection.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
or the new starter is strong enough to pull through whatever other restrictions you have for a short time. if you see a cable or connecton smokeing it is bad or dirty.clean and tighten all cables.make sure all of your grounds are there and clean and tight. i had 4 grounds on my elco engine and never had any electrical gremlins.when replaceing a starter or alt. i scrape the block and wire brush the bolts clean,wire brush all cables and inspect them for damage before i reinstall them. all of you guys may not be mechanics but you can do the work like one. inspect everything involved.if it looks funny have it tested or replace it.if you ignore a trouble sign it will come back as a problem later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK, I'm going to save you (and anyone else who reads this and takes the advice.

The one place you absolutely have to have the best possible electrical connections on your car is at your starter. The hot leads are usually not a problem (although they can be), but the grounds can be a real bear.

So... Run a good-sized ground strap from one of your starter bolts to your frame. Run another one from your battery to your frame.

You'd be amazed how many phantom electrical problems this will solve. You do NOT want to find out what happens when your starter tries to ground through your shifter linkage.

And I'm going to give you a hint on why your starter would work a few days each time you replaced a part. It's because the new bolt or whatever improved the ground, until the natural corrosion under the head of the bolt/screw weakened the connection.
Everyone on this thread is right. Ground wires don't take much to install and they will solve a multitude of problems. If you think about it take the ground from the battery off of the fender and clean it up too. This will help with interior grounding since the car is one big grounding rod it's self. Good luck and I hope you get things right.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So yesterday I was able to get the ELKY home after a jumpstart. This morning I took all the ground wires and positive lead off the battery and cleaned all contacts and re-assembled. Still not starter action. So I took the battery and had it tested and replaced the 4 gauge ground to the alternator bracket with a 2 gauge.Battery is fine and she fires right up now. I do however still have a clicking sound that repeats every two or so seconds on cold starts??? Thanks for all the advice! :nanawrench:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts