El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm a 17 year old teenager and I just got a 1976 El Camino. It is currently not running. It needs the carburetor to be rebuilt (which I can do) and some valve work. I wanted to know if I could take the valves from a El Camino in a junk yard and place them into mine. Will this work, or at least work well enough to temporarily put my Elky on the road? I plan on completely rebuilding the engine as soon as I can, hopefully sometime this summer. However, being that I dont have a job money is a major constaint. Is there a cheap way to get my El Camino running? I need all the help I can get!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not a good idea to take valves from one head and install in another without reseating them.Since you will be removing the heads to do this why not do a valve job,I would check on what it would cost to do this first.
Its a lot of work pulling the heads for a temporary fix.Lots of Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i know thats without a doubt the best option. And I plan on doing that sometime... probably this summer. I already have a few heads and vavles, but I dont want to put them in yet because I don't want burn them due to possible malfunctioning other heads. I'm looking for a temporary fix, just to last me till when I can get the remaining parts together to properly rebuild the engine. Truthfully, I have less than $200 left, so I really dont have the money to get them machined right now. I still dont know what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts