El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help all round. I have a 1987 GMC Caballero 4.3 v6. It is a very sweet ride. But I need to hook it performance wise. Can anyone help me out their that has a 4.3 hooked up. Or better off will it be better to throw a 350 into it. Well, I need help. Thanks if u can help.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
First let me say Welcome to El Camino Central!

GM squeezes 200 Hp out of the 3200 V6 in the Camaro. I would think that with the 4.3 you should be able to pump that up. The Buick Grand National had something like 300 Hp with a turbocharged v6, I think it was the 2.8L version they used in 86.

My point is a six can produce respectable daily driver power. A small block V8 (350) is capable of producing over 600 ponies without a turbo. The bland crate engine that Goodwrench Performance Parts sell is advertised at 260 Hp I think. With that you have a good solid place to start. I think that the Transmission will bolt up.

Now you have to ask yourself, "How much do I want to spend?, Will I go with a Computer Controlled EFI or a Carbureted engine? How tough is the inspection and smog controls where I live?"

I would yank out that 6 and put in a well build 8 with somewhere in the hood of about 400 Horses. If you going to slide something by inspection then it should be worth the trouble. Make it EFI and you'll have a better chance of getting it by the inspection stations.

This is just my thoughts.

Good luck on the project. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
swap

First thing you have to do is learn control. I am doing an engine swap in an 84, and i already have more in the engine than i have in the car. Got the car for 1300, And have like 3 grand in the engine, and still haven't got the engine completed on the engine stand. But i figured if i was gonna do it, do it right. So every single part for motor is new cept rods, and heads(early 70's 300hp heads) the block has been bored .030 to give it a like new fresh start, crank has been polished, everything else, new and outta the box.

I am at like 700 under what a crate engine cost, but then if I had gone crate eng. It wouldn't have had the performance items that I wanted, so it all rides on money, wants, and expectations. I may never race this thing(lie lie lie) but if i decide to trounce it, it is gonna move, and shock the lil daddy's boys in the new (using this word VERY loosly) so called muscle cars. Most of all, your engine build should be FUN and make you excited to hear that thing roar to life if you are going to go NON-stock. Hell I am still 9 days from pulling my old motor out and 11 days from installing new one, but i am already having to wipe drool of my chin when i think about pulling out the garage the first time with the new motor.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Re: swap

workNprogress said:
and i already have more in the engine than i have in the car. Got the car for 1300, And have like 3 grand in the engine
Ditto here, but mine is finally running...Not on the road yet, but running... :cool:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You guys have to remember the engine is the power plant. To me that is your car, everything else is just safety netting! :)

I have about 3500 in the 76's engine and around 4500 80's engine. All around I have invested, no kidding, 22000 on the 80 SS Since I started the project two or so years ago. You have to have a idea as to what you are willing to spend and the end results you expect.

I believe that I have a total of about 8 maybe 9,000 on spent on the 76 all said and done, could be a bit more. I finished it and was completely unhappy with its performance. I cut corners both in price and cost. I regret that. I had to go back and replace the engine again and the transmission again. I had to do more front end work after I thought that I was finished.

So plan on spending a good amount on the toys otherwise they brake or they come out bad and you could be unhappy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts