El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on setting the transmission cable properly. Here's the bracket the the transmission cable was hooked up to.
Brown Grey Wood Art Fawn

The transmission cable has a ball on the end that fit in the upper piece. The arc in the upper piece had an Allen screw in it so I could adjust the transmission cable.. this piece fit over the throttle lever on my Street Avenger carburetor. It won't fit the lever on the Sniper. If I lug in the lever on the Sniper and put the cable on it, how will I adjust the cable so it won't damage the transmission?

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
Holley should be able to provide you the correct Throttle Valve geometry correcting connector bracket made for a 700r4 or 2004r and your Sniper model.

They should also be able to provide the bracket to hold the accelerator cable and the TV cable.
700R4 TV cable bracket that works with the Sniper? (holley.com)

If not, send an email to BowTie Overdrives and let them know which Sniper and trans you have.
Bowtie Overdrives - Home | Facebook Scroll down until you see the sniper.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
352 Posts
How do you adjust the throttle Valve cable for your automatic transmission?
The adjustment is simple. Press in the adjustment tab with some pliers and while doing so, push the throttle all the way down (or very close). You will hear “clicks” from the adjuster. Release the adjustment tab while at full throttle. Fine tune from there by releasing the tab at slightly more/less than full throttle until it shifts at correct speeds.
You can’t adjust the TV cable however until you are 100% sure you have the correct geometry brackets. You WILL destroy the transmission within minutes if it is not the correct bracket or the cable is too far out of adjustment. There is a chart somewhere online that shows how far the cable should travel in relation to the throttle. It’s possible to make your own bracket that way using a straight, slotted mending brace from the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. You are correct that is the proper hole for the 2004r and the 700r4. I'll check with AutoZone. Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
352 Posts
Thank you. You are correct that is the proper hole for the 2004r and the 700r4. I'll check with AutoZone. Thank you again for your help.
Here’s the video I watched when setting mine up. The bracket they sell at the parts store is adjustable in case your cable isn’t the right length. Also, make sure once it’s set up, check the tv cable and make sure it’s not binding anywhere. They can get pinched pretty easily running down the firewall.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a picture of a bracket that I have had on the Street Avenger but wasn't using it for this purpose.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Is this by chance a Throttle Valve adjuster bracket?

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I will have to take it off and put it on the bottom of my mount for it. I'll have to push throttle cable out of it and push the transmission one out of the bottom and put in there. Basically I'll swap the two cables around. Much appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Here’s the video I watched when setting mine up. The bracket they sell at the parts store is adjustable in case your cable isn’t the right length. Also, make sure once it’s set up, check the tv cable and make sure it’s not binding anywhere. They can get pinched pretty easily running down the firewall.
Great video and info!Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. It's a great video. I'm having issues due to the plate that mine is bolted down on. I'll try and get more pictures of the plate that it bolts to.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts