El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put a set of headers on and Terry down here in Calif. found an article on Calif. legal headers by Edlebrock but they look like there discontinued. I'm not good at searching for something like this. I tried E bay with no luck and Google brings up Jegs and Summit but no go. Where do I look? G-body forums I know one. Any help would be great. The reason I want these there wouldn't have to be any modifications and I'm not a welder or bender. Here's all the info for the reg. and ceramic set. I'm sure there only offered if found used of course:dontknow:

Edelbrock
Edelbrock - Edelbrock 68782 Tubular Exhaust Systems Headers
Click on image to zoom
Edelbrock 68782 Tubular Exhaust Systems Headers
SKU: 412416 - 68782
Tubular Exhaust Systems Headers Edelbrock 68782 w/Ceramic Coated Finish - 2.25 in. Inlet Slip-On Catalytic Converter - Street Legal

Edelbrock Part#: 68783
Auto Part Number 68783 From Edelbrock
Brand: Edelbrock, Mfr Part#: 68783

Click For Price

Product Details

Make your headers last with Ti-Tech coating from Edelbrock. Boost performance and drivability in your vehicle with Edelbrocks Tubular Exhaust System headers with Ti-Tech coating. In some cases youll shave up to a full second off your 0-to-60 mph times because the Edelbrock design improves your engines ability to breathe. Mileage also will improve because your engine becomes more fuel-efficient. ...more

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CLICK ON PRICING BUT I GET THE FULL INFO AND PICTURE? I HAVE THE FACTORY PH#

Your search "68783 Edelbrock" did not match any products.
Showing results using some of your search terms

"68783 Edelbrock" (See all 5,029 results)

Thanks
Robert

·
0 Posts
Have you tried maliburacing.com? I've got good used things there plus some of the members there are ECC family like me..:secret:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try
Thanks

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I've searched that part # and can't find 68783 but at www.streetperformance.com they have
Edelbrock TES Tubular Exhaust System Headers with Ti-Tech Coating Headers - Shorty - Steel - Ti-Tech Ceramic Coated - Chevy - El Camino - Monte Carlo - 5.0L - Kit
Brand: Edelbrock
Auto Part #: 68793
Make your headers last with Ti-Tech coating from Edelbrock. Boost performance and drivability in your vehicle with Edelbrocks Tubular Exhaust System headers with Ti-Tech coating. In some cases youll shave up to a full second off your 0-to-60 mph... more
Check Prices
Starting At
$479.99. They have all ending in everything EXCEPT 83. Maybe if you called them? Wish I could've found them for you.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've searched that part # and can't find 68783 but at www.streetperformance.com they have
Edelbrock TES Tubular Exhaust System Headers with Ti-Tech Coating Headers - Shorty - Steel - Ti-Tech Ceramic Coated - Chevy - El Camino - Monte Carlo - 5.0L - Kit
Brand: Edelbrock
Auto Part #: 68793
Make your headers last with Ti-Tech coating from Edelbrock. Boost performance and drivability in your vehicle with Edelbrocks Tubular Exhaust System headers with Ti-Tech coating. In some cases youll shave up to a full second off your 0-to-60 mph... more
Check Prices
Starting At
$479.99. They have all ending in everything EXCEPT 83. Maybe if you called them? Wish I could've found them for you.

I'm having the same problem they have to be discontinued. In the electrical business we have a thing called tracer you just put in what your looking for and it goes over the net and if someone has it they respond. I know back in the day auto wreckers had it. Have you ever heard of something like this for parts? I will try Google and type in auto parts tracer what the heck. Thanks for trying.

I love the sticker you sent I put it on my catalog rack I still use on my desk so when someone comes to my desk it's the first thing they see.:texas::texas:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hedman has told me in both emails and on the phone that their 61318 headers are 50 state legal for El Caminos through 1987. Summit Racing and other sites list them as 50 state legal only through 1980 or something. I was not able to confirm it either way for sure. You might be able to check locally.

Jim

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hedman has told me in both emails and on the phone that their 61318 headers are 50 state legal for El Caminos through 1987. Summit Racing and other sites list them as 50 state legal only through 1980 or something. I was not able to confirm it either way for sure. You might be able to check locally.

Jim
I've seen a lot of those but the ones I'm looking for are made just to swap with the old manifolds no mods or cutting they are a direct replacement plug and play and will pass Calif. smog. I think legal and smog are two different things? Thanks I will check them out for sure.
Robert

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So the ones I posted the link to were not the right ones? I can look again if not, but they matched the part number you listed.

Copper

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the ones I posted the link to were not the right ones? I can look again if not, but they matched the part number you listed.

Copper

There's no link:beer:

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
I've seen a lot of those but the ones I'm looking for are made just to swap with the old manifolds no mods or cutting they are a direct replacement plug and play and will pass Calif. smog. I think legal and smog are two different things? Thanks I will check them out for sure.
Robert
If the headers have the AIR tubes and do not eliminate any emissions componants 99.99% of all smog stations will accept them. For example there is not a single EO accepted header with AIR rails for a 78 corvette, not one, however hedman did make a set set of headers with the AIR rails that fit the corvette. I ran those headers here in CA in an enhanced smog zone for 15 years and not once did a single smog tech, including the one at the referee station question them.

It might be a very slight risk but if it were me I would take it based on past experience, but I bet if they work like they are supposed to you wouldnt have any problem.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't understand why the link doesn't work for you as it does for me ... but here is the link again.

Click Here.

Copper

I saw those but when you go into their store with that number a bracket comes up not headers. I need to call if they have them $$$$$$$$$
Thanks

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I'm trying to avoid is having to modify the system and these are a plug and play set for Calif. I would use any brand if I can get away from paying to have them installed. So I'm trying to find a used or new set of the Edlebrock's and I thought someone here would know where I can post a request for them on the web or other forums I don't know of. It's not really the money but I would like to do it myself but welding is out of my league:dontknow: ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I actually have a set of those. Their not in the best shape but their not too bad. I'll try and see what I did with them at some point today

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
Robert, a couple of thoughts for you. The Elky Cat is welded on, I think. Check you cat and see if it has a clamp on the front end, or is it welded in. There are two models of G-body TES headers- one for the Elky style welded cats, and one for the HP Bolted in cat ( Monte Carlo SS- 4 bolt flange on each end of the CAT). The Y-pipe will determine which one you have when you find them. If you get the Monte style, you can get the flange for welding onto the back part of your exhaust, and a new High Performance CAT to bolt up to both ends. You'll probably want to have them coated if they are used. Got mine done locally with Ceramic Chrome for about $250. The coating helps to keep the heat down in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think if your looking for more performance u will still be sending the exhaust thru the rest of the stock system. For my money i would have a good muffler shop put in a new exhaust from the y back. High flow cat and muffler all in 2 1/2 or 3 inch depending on your motor. Don

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe I have found the web page that supports Hedmans claim about their 61318 headers.
You need to go to the California government C.A.R.B. web site: http://arb.ca..gov then look under executive order: D167-33. It list Buick, Chevrolet,Pontiac passenger cars year 78-87 engine 283-400.
The order covers alot of Hedmans headers including the uncoated 68311, the coated 66311,and the Elite 61318.
I believe this site will tell you about any brand of headers you are interested in. It takes some searching under different excutive orders, but you can search the site by brand.
You would want to verify this information yourself locally, but I printed it for my own files.

Jim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts