El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at this project since '09. Just getting around to posting it. The project is a '79 Caballero. Bought it on Craigslist with no engine or tranny. I had one of each in the barn so no problem. Body was good except for some rust around the front of the bed. PS, PW, PL, air, cruise, 50/50 split bench, gauges and some other nice stuff. I'm not much of a pic taker but I'm learning to post pics so if everything goes well I'll be adding pics of progress in the near future.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hope I got the pics back.

:???:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Pics look good to me Larry.

Doug

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
hang in there Larry, I started a lil after you did, and I'm still plugging away too! lol

Take joy in finishing each part. it'll all be worth it in the end

:inlove:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to borrow a rotisserie to do what little work the body needed. South Carolina preserves its bodies quite well. The day after these pictures were taken I shortened the front mounting arms 8". Several hundred pounds of steel on long lever arms made me nervous.:cruch:

More later.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Way to go Larry! Borrowing a rotisserie will make your work so much easier.

Doug

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
finish it someday

Hang in there, you will be pleased when your almost done. Hey, your never really finished. You will find something to fix, change or just tinker with, that's the fun of owning it. I bought mine on 2004 and started saving $$. In 2006 I started the Choo- Choo conversion, I've been working on it ever since.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, all of the above replies are spot on! This is a fun hobby and it keeps me out of mischief.
Just thought I'd describe an oddity that I found in the '79 when I removed the body. It is a trailer hitch mount. It is a piece of 1/2" X 6" X 42.5" steel bar stock welded across the tops of the rear spring towers. It has a 1" dia. hole cut in the center for an attachment device that stuck up through a hole in the bed floor. If they came through, the pics will describe the design better than I can. It looks like the bar can be installed without
raising the body because the factory left a "notch" in the bed/fenderwell pinchweld that would accommodate the bar if it were slid across the tower tops from fenderwell to fenderwell. All four of my El Camino/Caballero bodies have that notch.The springs were stiffened with several coil spreaders. Now I Think I know why I had to replace both rear shafts and bearings. Quite a hitch!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have never seen anything like that before!

Doug

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little more progress. The colors are '88GM Flame Red and '88 or '89GM Bright Silver. Both metallic. Click on the thumb nail to see all 4 pics.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Looks awesome Larry!

Doug

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a little more progress. I fought my way to the "old photobucket format" and I hope the pics are viewable. The electrical mess you see actually works! Lights, starter, wipers, power windows and locks. It's sort of a miracle because I had removed every wire from the body over a year ago. All I have to do now is figure out how to get all this stuff crammed under the dash. Oh yeah, I can take my circuit tags off now. The steering column is from my'84 donor. I transferred the ignition, dimmer and reverse light switches from the '79 to the '84 column. http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b418/elkihlp/100_0432.jpg. http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b418/elkihlp/100_0435.jpg http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b418/elkihlp/100_0436.jpg http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b418/elkihlp/100_0436.jpg :wow:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
macv it could be the photo or the shadows, your photo of the rear axle assembly (amazing hitch plate btw) the upper left rear control arm and bushing seems bent .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Macv, that plate would be probabiy for a fifth wheel plate(AG style) a 2 3/8 ball --usually see them on p/us--first time I'ver seen one on a Elky ya got A HEAVY HAULER THERE !!:nanawrench::nanawrench:
When I saw your first photo I had to do a double take=== thought you'd came & got my 87 Elky --but mines got tu / tone mldgs otherewise they'd be twins !!:secret::secret: looking good hang in there..

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Larry, you did say it would be done for Coleman this year, right? :poke:

Doug

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh sure!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
macv it could be the photo or the shadows, your photo of the rear axle assembly (amazing hitch plate btw) the upper left rear control arm and bushing seems bent .
Yes, it does look funny in the pic but I just went under the cruck with a light and a straightedge and everything is fine, no humps, bumps or pinches. Thanks for looking closely at the pic and bringing it to my attention. I have been known to "miss the forest for the trees" more than once. :beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Macv, that plate would be probabiy for a fifth wheel plate(AG style) a 2 3/8 ball --usually see them on p/us--first time I'ver seen one on a Elky ya got A HEAVY HAULER THERE !!:nanawrench::nanawrench:
When I saw your first photo I had to do a double take=== thought you'd came & got my 87 Elky --but mines got tu / tone mldgs otherewise they'd be twins !!:secret::secret: looking good hang in there..
HEAVY HAULER is right, but no more. I was able to cut the welds between the plate and the towers without damaging the towers. However it took two of us to lift and move the plate. It was HEAVY! The hole in the bed is also gone.

Unfortunately the ring, pinion and axle shafts were all badly worn and pitted. So, now the '79 project has the entire rear end from my '78 donor and the axle shafts from my '84 donor in it. That means I have English lug nuts for the front wheels and metric for the rear! Got to try to remember that.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts