El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's all over now. last week I had trouble starting the elky but it ran fine once i got it started. then after it sat over night it was difficult to start again and while driving less than a mile it just up and died. again later it was difficult to crank but it did crank after about 45 mins of sitting. tried a few more times to get it to run and no joy. thinking my plugs were fouled from the months of running rich i changed them and found some burned plug wires on the manafold but they were already pulled out of the way and tied off. so i'm thinking that was old damage that i must have missed when i inspected them in febuary. anyway. new wires and plugs and i still can't get her to start right. i swear it sounds like she's only hitting on 4 cylinders and the week before all this happened we were tuning the carb to get max vac and the best at idle was 15 inches. I still got a few things to look into before i go getting crazy. so i'm going to start looking in a 5 state area nc, sc, ga, va, tn for a 350 thats in running shape.

things i'm going to look at this week/weekend
loose dist
ecm under dist though it's only a few months old.
spark at all plugs
compression at all cylinders
anything else to look at?

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Did you check the wire that plugs into the distributor cap on the driver side? If it's loose or not plugged in you'll experience the symptoms you're describing. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compression check was good sparks were good fuel was good. timing was good. Finally fixed it this weekend. it was SO simple even a caveman could do it. My buddy from work came over pulled the air cleaner off and told me to turn it on but don't start it. he watched for a min or so in a trance like state then told me to crank it up. I did and she spit and sputtered and smoked and died. through the gap under the hood i saw him chukle. he stuck his finger into my carburator and told me to start it again. I did and she spit and sputtered and smoked for a second or so then like magic started purring like the kitten she was before the problem. shocked and amazed i asked him what he did. aparently my electric choke is not working the way it should and it was WAY out causing my butterflys to stay closed all the time. So I wasn't getting any air to the cylinders that I thought I had lost compression on. Valuable lesson learned.
I'm back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts