El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This use be a farm truck when i purchased it. The only work the guy mentioned doing to it within the last 5 years was a new carb, distributor cap and wires. Slowly i'm putting time and money into it. So far i've replaced the radiator, belts, tires, battery, windshield, and plan on working on the gaskets and new front shocks this week.

Currently i have idiot lights and at start up the only red light i get is the temp light and the service engine light stays on. I found a dash cluster from a 81 elco that i'm i thinking about snatching up. Until then can someone tell me what these wires go to? Should i reattach them or what:?:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/rg743/84 el diablo/IMG_1052.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/rg743/84 el diablo/IMG_1051.jpg

This use be a farm truck when i purchased it. The only work the guy mentioned doing to it within the last 5 years was a new carb, distributor cap and wires. Slowly i'm putting time and money into it. So far i've replaced the radiator, belts, tires, battery, windshield, and plan on working on the gaskets and new front shocks this week.

Currently i have idiot lights and at start up the only red light i get is the temp light and the service engine light stays on. I found a dash cluster from a 81 elco that i'm i thinking about snatching up. Until then can someone tell me what these wires go to? Should i reattach them or what:?:

Mine has a plug and it was smoking a few weeks ago the connection was shot. I'm going out right now to do something so I will try to get some pic's shortly. Damn I left the camera at work but I will see where they go by color.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/rg743/84 el diablo/IMG_1032.jpg
Mine has a plug and it was smoking a few weeks ago the connection was shot. I'm going out right now to do something so I will try to get some pic's shortly. Damn I left the camera at work but I will see where they go by color.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it splits off and half goes to the passenger side firewall area and the other half around behind the carburetor.. I'll get in there tomorrow and see exactly where they go.
Props on the diagram Matty

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Your Elky looks like it has had the electronic controlled carb removed along with some other smog equipment and rather than tape the terminals off they cut them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try checking the wires for voltage with the key on and cap or tape the "hot" wires until you remove them. I have a similar situation with some connectors carrying voltage in my '82 with an ECM that no longer ties into the engine. I'll be removing the wires sometime this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Those wires go into a plug that goes to "some" device on the pass side fender well. My connector is still there, along with the device it plugs into. Unfortunately/fortunately, the outlet plug wiring is long gone. The ECM is in the car, but it's not connected to anything, that is, that I know of. Hack job of the first order!!!:twisted:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts