El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fans,
I want to install a sound system and I was looking at the brand KICKER. I was going to get 3.5" dash speakers, two 6x9 speakers behind the seat, a 10" sub in the smuggle box. (<---idk if that's what it's called...I'm new here), and I'm not too sure about what kind of amp I want to get. In all honesty, I know nothing about setting up a sound system. I've just been googling stuff for the past couple days and I was going to ask my brother for help too. But if anyone on here could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone disagrees with the brand KICKER as well, could I get other recommended brands?

Thanks a bunch!
Heenster808

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey I have 2 kicker CVR 10s 2 rockford 6x9s and stock dash speakers in my 87 with an audiophonix (1200watt) amp and it sounds great! If ur into bass try it maybe a stronger amp only cuz once the subs break in its not as loud! Hope I helped a lil cuz I didn't say to much!

·
Registered
501 Posts
what kind of head unit are you gonna run? I personally go with alpine when i can. Also I would go with speakers in the lower door instead of in the dash,you can get the panels at dixie monte carlo. If you use the search feature on the site here you can find plenty of posts concerning systems in our cars. Remember our cars have small cabs so be carefull picking out components and don't go overboard,what sounds good in a full size vehicle may be overkill in an elky.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=36218&highlight=alpine
if you look at my post i this thread you can see what i run in my system.

ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much guys! I have a JVC head unit right now. I'm probably guna change that if I have enough money. And are two subs necessary? I like the bass a lot but would I be satisfied with just one?

Thanks,
Heenster808

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
if your upgrading the head unit, i wouldnt go with anything except alpine, since the cab is so small i think you would be good with one sub... when i do my system it will just be one 12" kicker L7.... one big sub will be more than enough but i MIGHT put a dual 12 set up because, well louder is better and most of the time i will have the subs on a low setting, just want to have super loud be an option... hahaha amp im going with a hifonics, i have one in my 4runner and its amazing!

but back on topic, kicker is great, i dont like the kicker comp subs but loooove the solo baric line, there amps are also great but havent had any personal expirence with their speakers but they are a good company so they are probably good speakers. kenwood, pioneer, kicker, rocksford, alpine, and JL are the main brands that stand out for me... but they all have cheap and expensive products so do a little hw and read a ton of reviews before buying

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there such a thing as dash speakers that can match the sound of a 6x9 speaker? My caballero is my daily car and I still want the space to put my books and stuff behind the seat. And the roads are so crappy here that I'm scared to mount a speaker in the door cause there's guna be so much vibration and stuff. Idk just lookin for tips. Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My system is getting on 30 years old now but the wooden box behind the seat has 2-6x9's in it. It leaves me a good amount of room below. There are the 2-6x9s and the 2-3" factory speakers in the B-Pillars. Not powerful by today's standards but still loud enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This winter (when the temp gets below 112 :lildevil: ) I plan on adding a 10" sub in the smuggler box with its own amp.

I wonder what the effect might be if I bolted it to the underside of the bed ??? More boom or reverbe or ???? :wow:

Old_dude

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
Is there such a thing as dash speakers that can match the sound of a 6x9 speaker? My caballero is my daily car and I still want the space to put my books and stuff behind the seat. And the roads are so crappy here that I'm scared to mount a speaker in the door cause there's guna be so much vibration and stuff. Idk just lookin for tips. Thanks!
Dash speakers are about a 3" speaker... There's no way you can compare them to a 6x9. A speaker is basically a big cone that move air, the bigger the cone the more air it can move around creating sound. Little dash speakers are basically oversized tweeters and produce little to no bass. You can buy premade 6x9 speaker enclosures which do not take up too much room. Heres the ones I just bought

As for road vibrations, mounting them in the door wouldn't be a problem, the door will get the same vibration that the rest of the car gets, as long as they are mounted securely go for it. I'd worry about the amp, that is what is sensitive to vibrations

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like what ND Harman did mounting the speakers right below the back window. But is it safe to have it that close to my head? Haahha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad said if I mount them in my door the wires could get pinched in the door hinge. Is there a way to prevent that or I just have to be careful when opening and closing the door?

·
Registered
238 Posts
For the wires going to the doors you should use electrical wire tubing (black ribbed plastic, kinda looks like miniature perf drainage pipe). It is what they use in most cars today to prevent damage.

·
Registered
852 Posts
im running two kicker L5 12 inch dual coil subs in mine. theyre mounted backwards (magnent out) in the box and now an 1800 watt kenwood amp all set up 2 ohm stable. it pounds, my box is actually starting to rattle lol. you cant go wrong though with Power Akoustic and sony competition amps. kenwood and pioneer are god too as long as its not the cheaper version. (avoid Xplod, theyre garbage)

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hey fans,
I want to install a sound system and I was looking at the brand KICKER. I was going to get 3.5" dash speakers, two 6x9 speakers behind the seat, a 10" sub in the smuggle box. (<---idk if that's what it's called...I'm new here), and I'm not too sure about what kind of amp I want to get. In all honesty, I know nothing about setting up a sound system. I've just been googling stuff for the past couple days and I was going to ask my brother for help too. But if anyone on here could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone disagrees with the brand KICKER as well, could I get other recommended brands?

Thanks a bunch!
Heenster808
Check out my pic's my system cranks.:secret:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My system is getting on 30 years old now but the wooden box behind the seat has 2-6x9's in it. It leaves me a good amount of room below. There are the 2-6x9s and the 2-3" factory speakers in the B-Pillars. Not powerful by today's standards but still loud enough.

How did you do this? Was it difficult?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did not have the stereo installed. My father did it back in the 80's. From what I can tell it is held up by a couple of metal straps mounted below the window (see Pics).

A couple things that might sink this idea for your car is that mine has bucket seats and it is a 4th gen. I have not looked around inside a 5th gen to much and i don't know how much space you have between the back of your seats and the back of the cab.

This is my sweet stereo unit. You will notice it has both AM/FM and auto reversing cassette. 22w for each of its 2 channels. And a clock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I highly recommend you take a weekend to do the entire project regardless what speaker you get. Yanking the seats, panels, and carpet, EVERYTHING out and going back to bare it best. If ya front the extra cash for better brand like Kicker, ya probably can easily afford 50 60 bucks in sound deadener, I used two cans of BOOM-MAT, alil fiberglass foam that was cheap cuz it was in these three inch strips meant for chimneys around the firewall to help cut down on engine bay noise(I hate hearing those belts whine and the firewall is probably way old and lost it's insulation). two cans are about 20 bucks with amazon, and the fiberglass insul for heat/sound was 5 on ebay. Then I used the actual Dynomat 10 foot rolls for like 20 bucks each, i pulled the headliner out and even laced the roof and its Pillars for the fron windshield and those swopps for the back of the cab(I alwaysd called them shark fins). then reinsert basic foam you pulled out from under the carpet, or place new rubberized mats here and there then reinsert the carpet. i actually place some more insulation under the seats and it cut down on the springs vibrating. Dynomat around where the speakers fall against the lips that hold them in place really helps prevent rattle. 100 bucks and you've got a great stereo ready set-up, and the raod noise from my 86 is GONE. I cant even hear the readio cuz my exhuast is too loud but when I hang with my budies or chill with my girl its nice to have music too. I recommend at least two Sony Explodes, I think the are great. if you have 6 speakers and one 12 inch Sub you've got plenty. Personal if you have 4 good speakers i think you can buy 4 cheapos and get good sound, I got a set off 4 off eBay for 47 bucks free shipping, two Sony Explodeds, one J-Punch 12 Sub, and two stock speakers from way back in the day(those are under the dash and don't do much). I seriously recommend 6-8 speakers and 1-2 subs, that's my .02 cents anyhow. And if you don't want LED light bulbs but want to redo your interior lights at the same time? Cuase then you'll have a kick'n stereo and cool lights? I can point ya in the right direction, I used lights that are technically computer/case lighting, still 12 volts though. There is the site I can give ya the HTTP if you are interested, where you can put the lights CHEAP. I replaced all my lights with a nice Green glow to really make my blue interior pop at night for 40 bucks. I do things as cheap as possible becuase i am a college kid and have to build on a budget :nanawrench: hope you or someone reading the thread likes my advice :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
How about 2 tens, 2 6x9s, 4 3&1/2" and 2 tweeters, 1 500 watt amp and 1 400 Watt amp

Alpine head unhit with remote 12 C/D changer, oh and a MPE audio parametric equalizer.
Then we can talk screens and DVD player!!!
Thats alot in a Caballero!!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts