El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am wanting to put an analog temp guage in my 75 el Camino. I'm not a big fan of the "don't worry, a red light will light up if you're gonna overheat" frame of mind that went into the design of the car.
Anyway, Auto meter has some pretty cheap, about 30 bucks. They say it comes with "6 foot capillary tubing" with the guage. What does that mean? And what kind of temp sending unit do I need. I tried to search auto zone website for temp sending unit, but for my make and model it says "not required"

any and all help is appreciated.
JacksonCamino

·
Registered
46 Posts
JacksonCamino said:
They say it comes with "6 foot capillary tubing" with the guage. What does that mean? And what kind of temp sending unit do I need. I tried to search auto zone website for temp sending unit, but for my make and model it says "not required"
The capillary tubing runs from the gauge and through the firewall to the temperature-sending unit (which if not mistaken is on the side of the engine block into the water jacket). It actually supplies the water column needed for the gauge to pick up the reading. "not required" most likely means that the tubing should connect right up to the stock sending unit. I usually replace the sending unit while I'm doing a change like that just to make sure that everything is on order. They are not usually expensive at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh, here's a picture of what the sending unit may look like in case you didn't know what to look for.

Good luck in your endeavor

·
Registered
167 Posts
68TexanElCamino said:
The capillary tubing runs from the gauge and through the firewall to the temperature-sending unit (which if not mistaken is on the side of the engine block into the water jacket). It actually supplies the water column needed for the gauge to pick up the reading. "not required" most likely means that the tubing should connect right up to the stock sending unit. I usually replace the sending unit while I'm doing a change like that just to make sure that everything is on order. They are not usually expensive at all.

Hope this helps.
Actually the capillary tubing requires no sender at all. The tubing has a threaded nut and it's own sender attatched to the end. You simply screw this into the head or intake manifold, and then you're done. The only way you would need a sending unit is if you got an electric guage. The electric gauges do not use capillary tubing, but instead use a wire directly hooked to the sending unit. Hope this helps.

Charles

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is the sending unit going to be on the same location on the block or will it differ from casting to casting? I want to put a mechanical guage on my fifth gen, and my father is looking for the sending unit on his '79 GMC Diablo. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankx for the replies :)
I read up on the "mechanical" (that's what I meant, instead of my err of analog) guages, and they do indeed come with the fitting for the block.

I was wondering, though, how big of a job is it to get it through the firewall? should it go through an existing hole, or will a new one be required?

thanks again,

JacksonCamino

·
Registered
147 Posts
Poke a hole in the grommet for the speedo cable. I must have 8 eight going thru mine.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The fitting on the end of the capillary tube will show you how big a hole is needed in the fitewall.

For electrical gages, I just poke a wire through the grommet around the steering column, but I'm not sure you can poke the capillary tube fitting through there. BTW the fitting does not come off the end of the capillary tube (I think it's like the bulb on a thermometer). Then you find a threaded plug to remove on the head or intake manifold heat riser to screw it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts