El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would just tell everyone that elkies are not made to go sking like mine wanted to do yesterday. I was coming home from work yesterday and decided to take the back way home well when I got on it there was ice and I was like I decided to not take the way. Well I put it in reverse at the bottom of the first hill but she wouldn't go back up. So I was kinda forced to go rest of the way. Well I made it all the way through until the last hillside where I put the brakes on and the gas pedal for some reason stuck down a little bit and I put the brakes on and since I was only doing about at most 10 mph the brakes locked up on the ice. It was sliding towards the right so I took my foot off the brake and it started going back straight well only problem is that there is a turn before the bottom of the hill with a larger drop off than where I was. So I put the brakes on and slid that way again. So I started to pump the brakes. Well since the gas pedal was stuck down I couldn't pull it off the floor with my foot cause I was pumping the brakes. In this time I had to think which was worse hitting the hillside where I was or going over the dropoff which isn't to big however it would have my elky stuck. Well I decided to take this hillside. When I hit the hill side though it really shook the car and bounced me to the other side in which it stopped however when I put the car in park it continued to slide so I put the car in nuetral and stopped it at the bottom of the hillside. I looked at what damage was caused and it pushed my bumper into my front clip and bent the fender however I was able to pull the fender dent out without and problem cause it was at the bottom of the fender. However it broke the front clip. I am not sure what all damage was cause to the bumper cause it is a little higher than what it should be and the thing moves in and out on the passenger side. So if anyone can tell me how to pull the passenger side of the fender back down and fix the bumper.
Thanks everyone

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Bummer guy...A hard lesson learned.

Sand bags or a water badder in the bed would have helped with weight distribution to plant the rear end.

On the fix, how bout a BFH

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
87SS said:
Bummer guy...A hard lesson learned.

Sand bags or a water badder in the bed would have helped with weight distribution to plant the rear end.
I used two motorcycle engines sitting in tires in my old '77 Elky :lol: Worked pretty good too.

Having your rear brakes adjusted and working perfect is a must in the winter with a RWD vehicle. Are/were your working to their fullest potential? Those self adjusters don't like to self adjust alot of the time :x

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Hey VW;

Why don't you post some pictures of your little mishap, It would give us a better idea what kind of damage were talking about here...

·
Registered
101 Posts
In the future if you're having a problem going down hill like that, put the car in neutral. This way you're not fighting the trannys desire to drive the vehicle forward and the ice at the same time. This usually works with Crown Vic's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I thought about putting it in neutral after I had done it so it wasn't my thought until afterwards. The damage wasn't substantional. It just basically put the bumper about half an inch higher on the passenger side so the bumper isn't level any more. Than the bumper on the passenger side goes in and out so I don't know if I need a new bumper shock thing so I will know when I take the bumper off this spring. Than when the bumper went up and got pushed back the thing broke the lower part of the front clip around the passenger headlight. So basically the fiberglass is shot and I will need a new front clip which I found for $60 at a local junkyard however I am not sure what condition it is in cause I found it on www.car-part.com So I don't know if they still have it or what not. But my major problem is how to get the bumper back down the half an inch. The fender where it got pushed in a little was able to be pulled back out without it being noticable. I am glad about that. So if anyone knows about the possiblity of the frame and the bumper or anything that I can lower the bumper that half inch so it is level again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have awful sleet and ice here in VA fairly often. Over 6" just over a week ago. The best idea is to leave the ElCamino in the garage, but if you have to drive it, keep bags of sand on the bed over the wheels. That way if you get stuck, you have something to throw on the ice for traction. I have been caught in ice before an it took me 5 hours to get home from the airport, a trip that normally takes 30 minutes. During that trip, the only way I could keep the rear wheels from spinning was to partially set the parking brake. This stopped them from spinning when taking my foot off of the brake. Without any weight in the rear, the wheels spin without touching the accelerator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My driveway is at a slope and I slipped on the ice today with my elky and when I finally ended up stopping going backwards was at the bottom where it was rocks. However when I got a really good running start at it I was able to make it without a problem. I know I hate ice so very much. I don't mind snow just hate ice.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Speaking of ice, I have been sitting here hoping it will melt enough (half inch plus) for me to get to the shop. I tried a couple of hours ago, and after busting my butt in the driveway, and scrapping the ice from the windshield, I was only able to make it down to the stop sign at the end of the street. I was able to reverse back to the house,, and here i sit.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
acauth1 said:
Speaking of ice, I have been sitting here hoping it will melt enough (half inch plus) for me to get to the shop.
Yeah, heard Fort Worth was hit pretty hard so I figured you must have gotten covered-up as well. Nice day for a roaring fire...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MN is just freezing cold right now with a lot of ice. Only on back roads though so I can make it most of the way home without problems. So hopefully I won't have any more problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Our Elky never left the driveway today. No way was I gonna try and take it anywhere with all the morons driving around. Did take the truck out, but with nothing in the bed (didn't have anything). Wish I'd bought a couple of sandbags yeaterday on the way home...oh well.

Sorry to hear about the hillside....

Should start melting a bit tomorrow unless we get hit again with sleet tonite. So far it's a heavy mist out there and the streets are now like glass.

Be careful guys!

·
Registered
88 Posts
took mine for a little ski myself, floored it into a turn on the new snow 2 weeks ago, and did a nice 360 before getting into the right lane.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My sympathy goes out to you guys having to deal with driving on ice and snow, not to mention having to dig your vehicles out of piles of the white stuff and then scraping the windshield in the middle of a blizzard, freezing your extremeties off in the meantime.

I was born and raised in Iceland and learned to drive in the middle of winter over there. I have seen enough of ice and snow for life and now I live in south Texas, I don't miss snow at all. Driving your stick-shifted car to work while holding your door shut, with one arm out of the driver's window because the latch got stuck in open mode, is not funny and very dangerous. During winter, the roads are salted mercilessly after the first flurry appears and needless to say, it takes it's toll on cars. On average, a seven year old car looks like it's been parked in knee-deep oceanwater and exhaust systems literally crumble to dust within three years after the car leaves the showroom. The short three month summer is no better either, rain is very frequent and since the island is populatet mostly along the coastline, cars and other rust-prone objects don't stand a chance.

To deal with driving on icy surfaces in Iceland, certain tires can be bought with spikes embedded in the tread. These spikes are around each edge of the tread and aren't very big or long, maybe 1/16" thick and 3/16" long. I wonder if such tires are available here in the US, I wouldn't be surprized if they are illegal since they'll damage asphalt quickly. In fact, Icelanders are only allowed to drive on these tires between October 15. and April 15. each year.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Iceman said:
I wonder if such tires are available here in the US, I wouldn't be surprized if they are illegal since they'll damage asphalt quickly. In fact, Icelanders are only allowed to drive on these tires between October 15. and April 15. each year.
Studded snow tires...I think they're still available in some areas. But as you stated, can only be used during a limited window.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts