El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have an 80 elcamino ive had for 1 1/2 years and it has parts from other cars in it. i was trying to figure out if my rear axle was posi or not so i found the code on the axle that reads 6AY O 283 I cant find anywhere that can decode that. i do know now that its not posi i jacked it up spun the tires and they spin in opposite directions. I just want to find out what kind of rear axle i have.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The code doesn't necessarily tell you that it will be posi or not as the center section could have been swapped out sometime in the past. Could just pull the cover and look at the carrier. Or you could spin the tires in the grass a little. 2 lines mean posi, 1 means open.

Posi

Non posi

How to tell what rear you have (most likely the 7.5)

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The 6AY says it's a 2.56 gear ratio. If it were 6BY, it would be a posi.
The O says it's from the Oldsmobile plant.
It was built on the 283rd day of the year.

Jack
[edit] 6AY is the code for an Olds station wagon in 1980. I guess they also put them on Elkies.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Jack up the back of the car, spin one of the rear wheels, if the other wheel spins in the same direction, it is a posi. If it spins in the opposite direction, it is an open differential. Now put the car in neutral, spin one of the tires a full revolution, and have someone watch how many times the driveshaft turns, if it turns roughly two and half times, you probably have something like a 2.41 or a 2.56 ratio, the amount of times it turns is the rear end ratio. If the car has an open differential, you will need to chuck one of the wheels and keep it from turning while you turn the other wheel on the other side that is not chucked.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I looked at my '69 and it looks like "GHC 357 2". I've looked online and can't find anything that matches -- maybe it's really GHO? I cleaned it up pretty good and it looked to me to be GHC...

None of the indexes I could find list GHC.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A guy from another forum posted me to the list for '71 Chevelles, which lists GHC as the following:

Code:
2.73:1 ~ 10-bolt (L14/307)*

·
Registered
4 Posts
what rear end do I have?

I have a 1960 Elky it has no removable cover on the back. Ecklers states it's a 3 series 8.2 10 bolt. I have been looking for hours to find a picture or anything that shows a 3 series 8.2 10 bolt with no removable cover plate. Is there a difference and did they make a 3 series with and without the rear cover?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts