El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 383 stroker in our '82. The idle seem really high. Tried adjusting the idle screw no change. Disconnect the vac adv and the elect choke, seemed better, timed it to 4. But the second we tapped the gas the idle went real high again and didn't come down. Here's some pic of my carb for ID. I know it's a Holley clone but I don't know what model.
The engine's been sitting for 10+ years while we finished it. Could we be having some other carb problem causing the high idle? Not real knowledgeable on these carbs. TIA
Dr side.jpg
pass side.jpg
IMG_9492.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
The 3/8 hose coming from the front center - is that going to the canister?
It should go to the pcv or be blocked off.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Is the wire coming off the black plastic choke housing supposed to be grounded ?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
The black wire is a ground at the choke.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you look close the choke + wire is off and the vacuum advance is disconnected. He said he did that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 3/8 hose coming from the front center - is that going to the canister?
It should go to the pcv or be blocked off.
Yes, saw on one diagram that the canister was supposed to go to the carb. I don't have a PCV valve per se there's a breather cap on the PS valve cove that I was going to run to a fitting on the air cleaner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also,Is that a vacuum line behind the thermostat that is off of something. The smaller one.
Tom
Yes that's connected to the vac advance on the distributor. It had been connected to metered vac on the carb burn I disconnected it to time it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I seem to remember there was a screw located at the side and bottom of the carb on the throttle cable side that if turned in too much it interfered with the front throttle plate causing high idle? It kept the throttle plate partially open! I think I ended up removing the carb and seeing this? Its been a few years since I installed the same basic Holley knock off carb with the Summit script on it? Trying to do this on memory? Hope it helps?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts