El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 with 305 and quadrajet. The engine was running perfect but since I had nothing better to do I decided to rebuild the engine ( plus engine was really tired). Replaced rings, crank, timing gears and chain, etc. When I finished it started right up but I can't get it to idle. Runs at 1500rpm and when the high idle kicks down it's still at 1500. All the linkage is loose. I've checked for vacuum leak and found none. The idle screw was turned out so it doesn't even touch. Choke works perfect. Moved the timing both advanced and retarded with very little difference. Anyone have any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
sounds like the secondaries may be stuck open a little or maybe the fast idle cam may be stuck on a step.check the secondaries by pulling forward on the arm that sticks up from the rear throttle shaft. and for the choke make sure the fast cam is all the way down. push the green cam down with your finger in between the choke assembly and the carb body.there a bunch of things but these are the most common

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

You're good! I had wd40'd all the linkage etc - checked them all for movement - missed the rear throttle. Touched it and the idle immediatly dropped. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
You're good! I had wd40'd all the linkage etc - checked them all for movement - missed the rear throttle. Touched it and the idle immediatly dropped. Thank you
:smileyb::smileyb: Yeah, ya be rite!!!! Ol' Carl be a pretty smart dude. He's helped me a few times, so listen closely when he speaks!!!:texas:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts