El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problemwith idle speed on my 350 Camino. My idle speed is ap. 1000rpm

This valve is still activated, if I unplug the valve idle speed will be normal 600rpm. Engine is warm but valve is activated and the plunger is out and give more speed. If I turn the speed engine manually hight maybe 4000rpm, the valve will be dactivate and engine goes down to 600rpm. I think this is not normal. Anybody have a answer or suggestion?

Greetings
René

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That solenoid that you unplug is activated when I use my a/c. Do you have a/c or could your heat/a/c control be bad?
Tom
Yes I have a/c but comprssor is off. Controle seems working, if I switch to aircon, compressor is activated... so maybe wiring is wrong???? Maybe you can me explain a little more so I can check the wiring....

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
On some models the idle kickup solenoid is also fed through a high pressure power steering switch, (located in the high pressure line to steering box).
The solenoid is also adjustable. The hex at the end of the shaft of the solenoid that contacts the throttle screws in and out. It should have no power to it when the AC is off and the steering is not at full lock. HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On some models the idle kickup solenoid is also fed through a high pressure power steering switch, (located in the high pressure line to steering box).
The solenoid is also adjustable. The hex at the end of the shaft of the solenoid that contacts the throttle screws in and out. It should have no power to it when the AC is off and the steering is not at full lock. HTH
...the steering was in zero angle position. Valve was activated, underpressure comes from Carburetor. Wondering, after more than half throttle, valve was deactivated. I check with measurement if engine is running and a/c is off. If I have 12V on valve somethink is wrong...
Next season the aircon will refilled and tested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anybody explain, how works the cold start on Rochester 4 barrel. Seams is not working on my car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I would remove all that and use a choke cable and a fast idle solenoid. Make a little plate and have a lighted switch and the cable pull.. When cold, push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there, pull the choke and flip the fast idle switch, let the pedal go and turn the key, as soon as it starts push the choke in about halfway, after a minute push the choke all the way open and off you go.. You might find out all you need is a fast idle solenoid..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would remove all that and use a choke cable and a fast idle solenoid. Make a little plate and have a lighted switch and the cable pull.. When cold, push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there, pull the choke and flip the fast idle switch, let the pedal go and turn the key, as soon as it starts push the choke in about halfway, after a minute push the choke all the way open and off you go.. You might find out all you need is a fast idle solenoid..
...do you have pictures and wiring diagram for that?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can anybody explain, how works the cold start on Rochester 4 barrel. Seams is not working on my car.
1) Push the gas peddle all the way to the floor once and let it back up (this primes the engine, closes the choke as much as needed and sets the fast idle linkage.
2) crank the engine with your foot off the gas pedal. When the engine starts the vacuum operated choke pull off will open the choke enough so the engine will keep running.
3) The fast idle linkage will release once the choke is fully open while you're driving or if you just tap the gas pedal after the engine warms up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts