El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rear end set up would you use for a 5TH gen El camino,
9 inch ? disk brakes? shocks? 10 bolt/12 bolt this will be abused on a regular basis !

Dont make choices bassed on money give me info on the best stuff ! OK now take off :beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally I'd go with a 9", if you're going to abuse it I personally think the Ford rear end is easier to work on, your mileage may vary. Guy I work with is giving up on the 12 bolt and moving to a 9" for that reason.

In both my 5th gens I've been unimpressed with the factory brake setups. Not having used a swap kit from another GM or a Baer kit, I can't say how much it would improve, but in CRX's and 240SX's I know the swap to four wheel disk brakes is very dramatic, obviously not as much weight, but with the proper set up even crappy disc brakes were a HUGE improvement over the drums. A couple of different companies make conversion kits for Ford and GM rear axles starting around $300. Well worth it, but again I don't have experience with it.

Suspension wise, I'm pretty clueless. I'll leave that one to those more experienced. Any particular set up you're wanting, handling, traction for drag, or cruising?

Enough rambling from me, hope something up there helps a bit.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
If I had a choice and the money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hmmm. I like to build my rides a little different so, I wouldn't use a 9 inch (it's a Furd part but Chevy is putting the "Strange 9 inch solid rear axle" in the new factory race COPO Camaro). I have a Hurst/Olds 8 1/2 inch rear under my El Camino during my chassis mock up (I guess they'll take some abuse but I don't know just how much in stock form). If I wanted to use a 12 bolt it would be from the after market but, no G-body came with them from the factory. So, that leaves a Dana rear axle (the Mexican Monte Carlo is said to have come from the factory with a Dana 44). I think the Dana 60 would fit the bill for me!
Yup, it's fun to dream!

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 8.5 gm is as good a c clip rear as you can use. i personally like the 8.5 its stronger than the 12 boltin the spider and pinion area. the 9 in ford is a little overkill on less than a monster with slicks or a drag car. definately go the 4 wheel disc. i just did the big brake conversion on my 86 and what a differance. i went 12 in vented rotors all the way around with pbr aluminium calipers.and abs the brakes are great even from over 145 mph. shocks should be bought as a part of the spring package you use

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'd do the same exact thing I already did... only I would go 9". It is stronger and cheaper. I paid somewhere near $900 for my 8.5". New carrier, axles, c-clip eliminators, and baer being one of the only companies that make a disc brake kit for it... You're looking at a $3500 rear end real quick.

Mini tub the rear end for a bigger tire. Scratch the factory suspension and go adjustable coil overs. Baer disc brakes.

... Though the guy who has his el camino for sale on this forum and swapped over a Corvette suspension was pretty sick.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
GNX complete setup with a disc upgrade as part of my fantasy Elky. My perfect truck would be a complete 'ECX' cruck- what ASC would have built either for a GM exec or themselves as a parts hauler using all GNX stuff. I've seen the GN conversions which look awesome; I'd like to see one with the flares, 16" wheels, suspension and Stewart Warner cluster. And of course the drivetrain. Patrick.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of ideas ,Keep em comeing !! :beer: Thinking 8.5 or 9 rear disk for sure ,not running any bigger tire than p275 60/ 15

·
Registered
174 Posts
Midwest Chassis shortened and braced 9inch with wavetrac differential with a nice wilwood brake kit for 15inch stickies.

It may come out to $5,000 when all said and done but damn are they nice and the customer service is amazing.

If anyone hasnt looked at the wavetrac differential take a sec to read up. They are great and come with the best guarantee.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a quick performance 9" rear in mine with disc brakes, wouldn't go any other way. With the big block and 4 speed I abuse the rear big time

Reactions: andiamo

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i bought the car my LT1 came in for 2300 it came with a 30 spline 8.5 with disc brakes, it cost me 850$ to have it shortened to fit my 86. you can pick up these complete rears for 500 to 600. shop around you can find a lot of reasonable ways to get where you want to be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts