El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1.So ....needed is the timimg for the 87 v6 4.3 .
#2. But mostly I need the advice for "timing sequence "for the 87 4.3 v6 with electronic dist ?(small dist with remote coil on pass valve cover.) This car is all original. Fan shroud has timing instructions but does not state what degrees,just that electronic advance lead should be detached when timing. It describes it (single lead, tan, with black stripe connector, that jumps out of wiring harness for 6 inches and jumps back in.) But does not describe location. My research from past forums
(Posted in 2007) on this reveals everyone has trouble finding this, and a lot of folks get advice for unplugging the 4 pin connector, that goes directly into electronic ign module, to disconnect vac advance..(there is a 4 pin plug, and a 2 pin.) Some report success.! Others failure? Ive found none that reports finding this single lead tan/black stripe connector. my research from 2007 forum finds that this info,(and the location of the advance disconnect) was mislabeled/missing for the 87 year manual, and not corrected until end of production year. I learned from old forum that it didint appear in manuals until 88 yr, but only for other models with same engine. Go fig! So little info exists except us. I'm 90 % sure ive found this electronic advance disconnect! It is located pass side wiring harness
( wheel well) near batt. Its exactly as described, and the only single lead quick disconnect on the entire harness.apparently this issue is unique to the 4.3 with small dist cap with remote mounted coil. So has any one else encountered this?should I just unplug the 4 pin connector? Ive asked advice for timing,some say 0' deg, others say 6-8' deg. Probably because multiple ign setups offered on the 5th gen v6.
I need advice from someone familiar with this specific setup(87 4.3 v6 t.b.i. with electronic dist,not the vac controlled dist) hence the need to disconnect elect advance. I will of course post ending to this thread to ensure future owners find that advance disconnect easily, so ur contributions are worthy,and appreciated.
Especially by me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
1 - Timing is set at 0 degrees with Ignition Timing Bypass wire disconnected.
2 - The Ignition Timing Bypass connector (round connector with blk/tan wire) is located right above the passenger wheel well in engine compartment along the large wire harness.
Then just follow timing directions on the radiator label. There is also a procedure to check that the electronic timing is working, but I will have to look it up in the service manual.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - Timing is set at 0 degrees with Ignition Timing Bypass wire disconnected.
2 - The Ignition Timing Bypass connector (round connector with blk/tan wire) is located right above the passenger wheel well in engine compartment along the large wire harness.
Then just follow timing directions on the radiator label. There is also a procedure to check that the electronic timing is working, but I will have to look it up in the service manual.
Thanks young storm. Glad to know u.Very concise and to the point. 0 degrees? Surprised at that, I have been getting a lot of different answers. So glad you have confirmed the disconnect , I have found it too! Most people claim that they cannot find it but I searched the entire wire harness and it was the only one fitting the description although it was very far from the distributor as you know. Oh well. Yes I would love for you to look up the test procedure for the advanced disconnect. This is my first time changing a distributor and timing an engine by myself. Seems straightforward. Glad I have an old timing light. So, before replacing distributor, I set balancer at 0° number one piston,when done,unplug the advance, hook up timing light ,and make a mark on both the balancer and timing tab with white paint / white out? Right?Mark should be even under the light at all RPMs, correct? If it is before, or after I just simply adjust distributor? Any fine points or suggestions on this procedure would be greatly appreciated. Is nice to meet you and I thank you.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Vehicle needs to be at normal operating temperature before disconnecting Timing Bypass wire to set initial timing. Then with vehicle off disconnect Bypass wire, start vehicle, at idle only set final timing to 0 degrees. Shut off and reconnect. Here is a procedure from page 6E2-86 of 1985 Service Manual to check if ECM is moving timing as designed.
Checking EST Performance
The ECM will set timing at a specified value when the diagnostic "Test" terminal in the ALCL connector is grounded. To check for EST operation, the timing should be checked at 2000 RPM with the terminal ungrounded. Then ground the "Test" terminal. If the timing changes at 2000 RPM, the EST is operating.
Reminder: Test terminal is terminal "B" on ALCL connector under dash by ashtray.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Sorry, didn't answer all your questions. Yes set 0 degrees at #1 piston TDC with distributor at #1 plug wire. Get vehicle running fairly smoothly by adjusting distributor as required to get vehicle warmed up. I use white paint on timing mark. Then after doing timing procedure by moving distributor slightly to get 0 degrees, shut down vehicle and finish tightening down distributor hold down.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vehicle needs to be at normal operating temperature before disconnecting Timing Bypass wire to set initial timing. Then with vehicle off disconnect Bypass wire, start vehicle, at idle only set final timing to 0 degrees. Shut off and reconnect. Here is a procedure from page 6E2-86 of 1985 Service Manual to check if ECM is moving timing as designed.
Checking EST Performance
The ECM will set timing at a specified value when the diagnostic "Test" terminal in the ALCL connector is grounded. To check for EST operation, the timing should be checked at 2000 RPM with the terminal ungrounded. Then ground the "Test" terminal. If the timing changes at 2000 RPM, the EST is operating.
Reminder: Test terminal is terminal "B" on ALCL connector under dash by ashtray.
Damn Youngstown,that's some real valuable info, u relly know ir stuff. Ive gotta get me 1 of those g.m. books. Ive only have a haynes manual for 69 thru 87,but in reality it only has info up to 85,and no info for the 4.3.v6,the electronic controlled info etc( anything past 85) .Wich is year/engine I have! haynes should be shot for that stuff! Illegal and misleading! Gotta get on of those g.m. I dunno where u got it , I looked on eBay but horrible condition book was going for 115$ wasn't sure if worth it. Guess I know better now.but sure glad ur sharing the info.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up....so I ordered a good quality stock replacement dist. Educated myself of the entire process(thanks to all you fellow members). Went out and bought all applicable tools,and parts to replace,like plugs ,wires,e.g.r.,throttle body gaskets,etc. Took all apart , did plugs ,wires,gaskets, soaked o2 sensor in p.b.blaster for future pull,set 0 deg, went to pull dist and stopped in my tracks... FORGOT TO GET A DIST WRENCH! Uugh. I don't have offset wrench heads or (crescent wrenches) as they are called. Started to make my own by bending a 1/2 inch box wrench but figured it was getting dark/mosquito. Hopefully harbor freight has one ,or advance. Any one know what size dist bolt is? Forgot to verify. Either 13m, or 1/2 . ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts