El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to start up helga this morning and when I put the keys I. And tried to start her I heard a pop in the steering column. Now the key sits farther then is should. It sits completely flat past the starting position. Is this a simple fix or do I need to take her in and have my mechanic take care of it. I tried to take the steering wheel off but can't get it off either. If there is a thread to this that would be great but I have no clue what to do in this department. Any and all advise would be great. Thanks for your time. And if I can do it I would love to. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is also my daily driver so I have to fix her quick! Thanks

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Not sure I understand the issue here. But I am going to take a wild guess and ASSUME it may be the toothed gear connected to the rod in the steering column that reaches for the ignitich switch itself. :dontknow:

I'll change your title in the thread to see if we can get you some help. :poke: Properly titled threads get more attention by the people who are better educated in your area of need, and also helps others find your problems and the repair result in the end using the search feature of the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great and thanks

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Take a look at this...
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192
it's a thread about fixing loose tilt columns but will show you step-bystep how to take it apart and put it back together.
There's another thread about columns by TrannyMike but the pic links to photobucket are dead so use this instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts