El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re posting - I think I put this in the wrong forum this morning.
---------
So...when I bought my Elky a month ago it had a starting issue that we thought was due to the Neutral Safety Switch. After futzing around with that I realized it was the ignition switch and seemed to fix the problem by shifting it up the column. Starter motor engaging regularly and no problem starting the car.

Then two weeks ago, I started to need to turn the key multiple times before the starter would engage, and it seemed (might be a red herring) to be worse when the engine was hot. I'm now up to maybe 30-50 tries before the starter lights off. So my initial thought was the solenoid. Replaced it this weekend with no effect on the car's behavior. I can jump the terminals on the solenoid and get the starter to react.

So...I'm looking for y'alls collective wisdom here. Back to the ignition switch? Since I'm getting power and the problem is intermittent I'm assuming the fusible links are OK; Is this correct thinking? I'd appreciate any insight to where to look next.

Thanks in advance.

T0mmyMac

·
Banned
819 Posts
30 to 50 tries. holy crap. I don't have a suggestion my omg. Good luck. Hope someone here can help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing how many times you'll turn the key when sitting in an Albertsons parking lot deciding whether to call AAA. Then since it (eventually) worked there, I assumed the solenoid had cooled down and that was the issue. Next day drove it to my folks and back - about an hour each way with five hours to cool off in between. no real problem starting it then. Now that it's back at home I'm on the 30-50 or random chance starting. ???? :dontknow:

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
welcome,,sounds like you got it figured out:beer:

I realized it was the ignition switch and seemed to fix the problem by shifting it up the column. Starter motor engaging regularly and no problem starting the car.
add a remote start button or change the switch...:texas:
unless you think its got something to do with the key lock/push rod.....check the next post down...
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=35484

·
Registered
57 Posts
exactly what happened with my 65.....back out the driveway...flameout. Stop at an inter section ...flameout.
Jiggle the key and it would start up right away.....replaced the ignition switch, fixed the problem. It was the original 65 switch, did pretty well for over 40 years !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts