El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I can explain this in a way that makes sense, so here I go.
The last few weeks I have had problems with my starter not turning over the first time. Yesterday my car will not start, it's not the starter itself because, when I put my key in the ignition it turns with no resistance at all. that sounded like a bad key cylinder so I bought a new one, I finally got the new one installed and I still have the same problem and engine still will not start. I can not figure this out on my own Please Help this is my only vehicle.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Columd mounted switches do wear out& cause many evils.They are held on by 2 nuts on your lower column. Slotted for adjustment. Rod from keyswitch hooks into it &activates it. ALso you have a neutral safety switch with 2 large wires on column that could be your problem. Can be jumpered. Also in a pinch, you canjumper a wire from the large red wire at theswitch & touch to the large purple wire going to the starter, or even run a universal starter push button.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I have tilt wheel, and a universal push button starter my problem is that my transmission is somehow linked to the ignition and I can not get my car in gear without the switch working

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The shifter lock-out is in the top of the column. Was it that way before you replaced the lock tumbler ? You may have to take the column apart again & check that it's together correctly. Getting at the ignition switch almost requires dropping the steering column down about 4 to 6 inches, by removing the plastic cover under it, removing the bracket that supports it, and being sure to un-hook the little cable the moves the shift indicator in the dash, under the speedometer. Like mentioned above, the ignition switch is fastened to the top side of the lower section of the steering column, and actuated bay the rod that comes down from the key/lock assembly. If you go that far into fixing it, replace the ignition switch, and adjust it on the slotted holes, to work correctly before bolting the column back up in position.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
When you turn the key to start the vehicle do you hear a clicking sound from the starter?Try using a remote starter button to see if the starter is working or if you have enough room you can use a screwdriver to short across from the large post to the screw closest to the engine on the solenoid,this will activate the starter( make sure the vehicle is in park as this goes around the neutral safety switch and it will start with it in gear and is the same for the remote starter button).
Try unbolting the the steering column from the dash,lower the column down so that you can see the rod coming out of the upper column going to the ignition switch,then put your key in column and try to start while watching the rod to see if it is moving properly.If it is not working properly the rack for the key(it's inside the upper column)is worn out.If it is working properly remove the ignition switch from the column and use a small screwdriver to work the slide in the switch to verify the switch is not broken(if the switch slides without feeling the detents in the switch the switch is probably bad)If it works correctly put the switch back in the off position and remount it to the steering column,another possibility is the neutral safety switch,it is mounted on top of the column closer to the floor below the ignition switch for an automatic trans with column shift( some automatic cars have linkage from the transmission(floor shift)that come back up to the steering column and the neutral safety switch is mounted the same as a column shift.If yours is a floor shift and has the linkage from the tranny to the steering column check to make sure the linkage is working correctly or the neutral safety switch will not be in the correct position to allow it to start.
Don't rule out the starter itself unless you pull it off and have it and the solenoid tested.
There are more possibilities but these are some of the basic ones.I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"steely" yes it was that way before. "goodcruiser" My starter is fine as I can start my car with the push button starter that I already have. "(if the switch slides without feeling the detentes in the switch the switch is probably bad)" This is exactly what I intended to say when I said when "I put my key in the ignition it turns with no resistance" that is to say I don't feel any of the detentes

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the problem here's some pix
That small silver piece broke off at the end is there any way to buy a new one?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found one at NAPA and almost have the column back together:nanawrench: thanks for the help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah smarter in the fact that I now know GM DID NOT design the column Chrysler did..... Explains why it failed. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.