El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to see what everyone else is usingas far as ignition coil and distributor

i have a 80 elk W/ a stock 305

·
Registered
573 Posts
IHAVE AN 85 WITH A 355----IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE-GET A MSDSET UP---I PUT THIS SETUP IN EVERY CAR I HAVE OWNED AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY DISAPPOINTMENTS--P :D ETE nyc

·
1,867 Posts
I totally agree with Pete. I run MSDs on all my cars & have intalled them on over a dozen different cars for others. Positive results on all.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you plan on keeping that 305 the stock GM ignition is fine. Adding more is like trying to offer a drowing man a glass of water. After 24 years you could do with a replacement Coil and Electronic Module. But as far as adding a performance coil and ignition set up then I wouldn't bother spending the cash on it as long as your still running a 305.

Just my advise.

·
1,867 Posts
Pete , I use to think the same way till I added a -6 on my Z car to mainly help it pass emmissions. The increase in gas mileage , cleaner emmissions(Huge difference), & throttle response inpressed me. I agree that a msd-6a might be overkill for a totally stock engine but I have seem big differences with a 5a & coil. For the gas mileage increase along, it is worth it. I increase the plug gap .10 to .15 after installation to take advantage of the increased spark & I always run spiral core wires. The inrease on performance you feel is greater than having the AC on & then turning it off. Our van got around 18-20 mpg before & with a 5a & coil it gets 22-24 mpg. Of course the HEI is a great ignition, but I have ran my Camino with the stock HEI then added a 6a & it made a big difference.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have the basic Accel HEI coil, and Bosch Platinum single electrode plugs on my Elkys 350. Nice inprovment over stock. Noticable improvment in throttle response, and hasn't skipped a beat in 3 years. Plugs are still in great cond. even with the newly developed oil burning problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Balast Resistor or not?

Hello, new member here. I have a 69 El Camino with a 350 and it has a stock coil and distributer with a mallory unilite breakerless conversion in it. My question is do I need a ballast resistor or is my resistor wire ok? I loss spark and have been trying to get it started with no luck. I bought a replacement module and before I install it I want to make sure if a ballast resister is needed or not. I can't see that one was installed anyware in line to the coil on the existing setup.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Alright you guys have convenced me that my existing Ignition system is outdated and inadiquit. So I've decided to put the MSD Super HEI conversion to my 76. Jeg's has the "Kit" for about 189 bucks and if it has impressed you guys so much then I suppose I owe it to myself to check it out.

So I did the 6A not the 6AL it was another 40 or 50 more. So we'll see what difference it makes with my litle 383. 8)

·
1,867 Posts
I know alot of guys that are pleased with Msd. Hope you will be another. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts