El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
After I had the rear end gears changed on my 84 ELKY this week the speedometer was off by 15 mph. I went to a speedometer shop and they put an adjustable converter at the tranny and recalibrated the speedo for a fee. All was good. Since I'm on vacation this week I took the car in today to a local mechanic to have a coolant temp gauge installed in the dash. While he had the dash apart I asked him to replace some bulbs in the dash that were burned out.
When I got the car back today I noticed the speedo was off again by about 8 mph. After further investigation I noticed the speedo does not go all the way back to zero but stops at 8 mph. I took the dash apart and carefully set it back to zero with a pen so I did not touch the needle with my fingers. As soon as you drive the car the speedo stops at 8 mph again! What is causing this and how do I fix it? Please advise me.
RTT

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it sounds as if the head is bad or bent in some way when it was removed. maybe he has the speedo in a bind in doing the other install. pull the speedo and see if it sticks outside the dash

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What tranny do yall have? I have a 2004r and just changed my gears out. My tranny guy told me that the speedo gears that goes inside the tranny are getting hard to find for certain gears. Close as he could get it is within 6mph. Oh well life goes on.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Speedo cable might not be seated all way back on the back of the speedo causing the misreading. Its a pain to get to but that's where I would look first since the problem was not there before the bulbs were changed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so today I took the dash pod apart. What a PIA! Anyways, I took the speedo out and manually set the needle back to zero. While I was in there i re-painted the black bezel that surrounds the gauges, painted the reflective backside white,cleaned 30 years of dirt and bugs out of it, cleaned the gauges, and glued a couple cracked screw holders back together with JB weld.
Put her back together and went for a test drive. Speedo came back to a rest at about 3mph and stops there. Who knows why? Now the speedo is only three mph off according to my GPS. I guess I can live with that. I really like having a coolant guage now! Atleast now I am an expert at taking the dash bezel apart!
Can anyone tell me what the green and brown wires that plug in the speedo are for? Curious.
RTT:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
yep, vehicle speed sensor. The cruise and the ecm use the signal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts