El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So even though im in the middle of a slow restoration process for my 71 elky, the guy I bought the 71 from has a ton of old dodge chargers, plymouth roadrunners etc.

I became obsessed with the idea of buying his 70 roadrunner, but he wanted upwards of 9000 for it,

I started eyeballing his 72 roadrunner, thought it was the ugliest thing, some how some way i cant really explain it, but i became accustomed to the front end (prolly has something to do with what I could afford)

I would prefer a 71 roadrunner to a 72, so he pointed me to a 71 Plymouth GTX he had in the rusty graveyard out back, only had 60,000 miles on it haha, it just so happened to be right behind where we pulled the 71 elky out of:cool2:

SADLY it had no engine or tranny............and also no floorpan. tried getting the car with one of the many 440 and trannys hes got. he wanted 2500 for the car and 1200 for the 440 and tranny.

I didnt want to pay more than 500 for the gtx to be honest. i decided to forget about an engine for now, and i am officially making monthly payments of 250:cool1:

agreed upon 2,250 and i owe 2000 now. I had to come and tell you all about my day, and welcome any opinions you have on Mopar muscle, i thought there was a forum section to talk about other vehicles but didnt see it, I appreciate you reading about my day! THANKS:razz:

less than 3,000 of these were made supposedly.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
restore it!

unlike some, I'm not a brand-bigot, I like all that old stuff.

also, unlike modern vehicles, all those old muscle cars have character. even today's retro-design vehicles still don't hold a candle to the old stuff!

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Tom
Robert and I know a purple HellCat that runs 6.96 1/8th that might change your mind.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Best Bud in High School had a GTX with the 440 Magnum, nicer inside and faster than a stock 383 Road Runner, of course it cost a bit more than the Roadrunner but it was a hoot to drive with Pistol Grip shifter. You will be very happy with that.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I sold my ’69 Charger and bought my ’71 El Camino. I don’t mean to rain on your parade Dave but even the best of Mopars are only suited for those that have the time, money, and knowledge to build them. I even saw Barry White from the show “Wrecks to Riches” pass on one because he considered it “too expensive” to build. I used to call my Charger the “600 dollar car” because it seemed like every time I bought something for it, it cost me 600 bucks. I can tell you from experience once you start sinking money into Mopar pit you’re not going have enough left over to buy a spark plug for your Elky. That is if you can even find the parts you need?

Unlike most GM cars Mopars aren’t well supported by the aftermarket. If you’re serious about this Year One (wait to you see their prices) is a good place to start. After that you’re on your own. A lot of stuff like interior and trim pieces are impossible to find and those you do find will end up costing you a arm and a leg. From the pictures you posted your car needs everything. That’s going cost you 20,000 to 50,000 dollars to get you to the point where you can even think about driving it, showing it, or racing it. Right now you’re making payments on it just to get it dragged out of the dirt.

If you want some advice (not that you asked for any) I would suggest you go and see if you can go and get your hard earned cash back and then bank it. Then save up and start looking around for something that isn’t such a huge drain on either you or your funds. There are a lot of cars out there that a lot of work has already been done on (father/son projects that have gone south, someone has given up, etc.) that will save you both time and money.

Good luck and I wish you well.

:twocents:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
So true and especially (father/son projects that have gone south, someone has given up, etc.) in my limited experience through the years. If you can do any and all of the bodywork/paint then maybe(if you do not count your time in dollars) it MIGHT work out, if I had a penny for every restoration where they did the mechanical's and then put it up for sale when they realized the expense and difficulty in finding the right parts for the body....
Its nice to believe yours will be the exception and it COULD be but the odds are against you.
Good Luck with what ever you decide.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Nothing wrong with Mopars.

A couple of my favorites are 66 Charger and 65/66 Cuda.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Take a ride in this Mopar beast will change your mind. 2005 505 hp RAM SRT 10(Viper power).

Reactions: Yella85Caballero
1 - 12 of 12 Posts