El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed aftermarket front bumper impact strips, and after the bumper was bolted on and aligned you can now see indentations or dimples where the threaded bolts lie. I also applied silicone to the fastening nuts & washers. Anyone have experience w/ aftermarket strips ? Ever heard of this before? - George :???:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdapix/6847796328/

Attachments

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yes. The aftermarket strips are softer than OEM and when you tighten the nut it pulls the rubber. Really no way to avoid it unless you buy NOS. I put NOS on the front of mine and its perfect. Aftermarket on the rear and same problem as yours. Even if you loosen up the nuts a bit it doesn't help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They all look like that?

Yes. The aftermarket strips are softer than OEM and when you tighten the nut it pulls the rubber. Really no way to avoid it unless you buy NOS. I put NOS on the front of mine and its perfect. Aftermarket on the rear and same problem as yours. Even if you loosen up the nuts a bit it doesn't help.
Bobby, All aftermarket strips look like that? Loosened nuts won't help? What a waste,.. should've gone OEM. In your opinion, think I can remove them with the bumper in place & snap on the NOS strips? Ever done it before, or you remove the bar first? - George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts