El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up a 454 with a 400 tranny today. It came out of a motor home with 85,000 miles on it. They don't look like much but I got hopes!!

They been sitting for a couple of months but just removed from the RV this week.

Alot of stuff to remove and clean up.
Lets see, I had a good looking motor that was bad now I hope I got a bad looking motor that is good!!!
Everyone cross their fingers for me!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
hmmmmm at a penny a pound, the motor/trans would be cheaper than you! :poke:

I am living proof that it don't have to look good to work good

:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Oh,S^@T...Donny got him a whore out truck motor..Watch Out Woody..:eek2::poke:
:beer:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The RV motors tend to be pretty tame, but that doesn't mean they can't do a good job. The 454 in my '95 Safari Trek has 100,000 miles on it, but it runs like a top. I wouldn't be afraid to put it in a hot rod, even with some modifications.

What year was the RV that it came out of?

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
should be a good replacement for the other wore out motor,
good luck on the swap ddd:beer:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The only problem is that the later ones were really set up for low rpm's. Not sure about an '86. Ought to be plenty strong enough. And that transmission, if it isn't shelled out, should be just about bulletproof.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Nice score Donny! Looked up some specs on it and the HP is rated at about 350-375 hp, and found 2 different answers on torque: 425ft lbs, and 450 ft. Lbs....dont know which one is correct. Deffinately an " ol' warn out truck motor" aint it! You could pull a tractor-trailer with that:poke:

Slap some headers on, better intake, and lets see what that does! Already got a huge came in it

What did ya steal it for?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Lol!! does anybody see that things dipstick haha. It goes from the pass. Side valve cover and ends up at the tool box!

·
932 Posts
Leogex: i saw that too, that was in the truck motor...
I wasn't sure if the 230 rating was for all carburated models or just the truck blocks , I know the efi models were higher rated but without block or suffix numbers it is hard to tell what it really is , I figured you might have more knowledge about which block it was so I edited my post.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I know what he meant!!!!! :poke:
I haven't laughed that hard in a while. :beer:
I'll pull the numbers after some cleaning!!!
Donny

1 - 20 of 27 Posts