El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings I'm glad I found this website, now I can share my El Camino passion with others
I have read everyone's remarks on cracked, replacement, full & partial covered dashboards. I have a 79 SS El Camino and I would like to replace the cracked dash. (or have it repaired if the fix won't look cheezy)I need some leads on where to find a replacement or someone who can do an excellent job fixing the cracks(it's a black dash). This is a restoration job so I'll be back with more questions in the future

Thanks,
Joe

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
It seems the most popular thing to do is buy a used one in good condition from ebay. Price is anywhere from 100-350. Or a few places like Original Parts Group sell new ones that are blue that you can dye to match. Price is 500 or so if I remember right. I had thought about using a place here in So Cal called Just Dashes that specializes in repairing dashes. In an email they quoted me 599.00 and then more to dye it. Or you can go search local junk yards.

And welcome to the place. :D

·
Participating Mmber
126 Posts
I saw an ebay add for a molded plactic shell that fits over your cracked dash. I'm considering one for my 82 Elky

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The least expensive way to go (and still look OK) would be to buy the fullface dash cap. More expensive would be to bid on one on Ebay. Make sure they show good pics if you try to purchase one this way. There are some suppliers listed on ECCs links page that carry them used...I think Mikes Montes and Dixie Monte Carlo Depot are listed and have a pretty good reputation from what I've seen. You could purchase one new from OPGI but I think their price is more like $700 now. You could also find one in a boneyard in good shape if your lucky. All can be dyed to match your color interior if necessary. Also the dashboards are the same or similar in several 78-87 GM G-body cars, but look closely because there are some differences that may not suit your needs or tastes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am considering just taking off my dash, having it dyed, and then laying a dash mat over the crack. Its not worth that much to have one crack fixed... although i can rummage around the junk yard and find a dash that will work but who knows how much damage that one may have. How much does it cost to have a dash dyed? (approx.)

·
Registered
481 Posts
You can dye it yourself, Dupli-Color makes a vinyl/fabric dye and I've also heard alot of good things about SEM dyes. I'm trying to decide if i want to change my interior color or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts