El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a hold of an '87 el camino right now, but I want to know more about it to make sure it is a good deal. I don't know much about cars to I want to make sure I'm not getting myself into too much. The body is fine, and tranny has no problems, but the engine has a knocking sound in it. The car has a 305 V6 in it I believe. I was told it might need to be rebuilt and just want to know how difficult of a problem that would be for someone with the knowledge to do it (and would it get rid of the noise). Also, how much would it cost to buy a new 305, and also want to know if anyone could tell me some specs on the engine. Like horse power, miles per gallon, etc [being stock of course] Also, if anyone knows major problems with these types of engines could you tell me? Like I said I don't know too much but I figure I'd post on here to see what help I could get.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!! if it is a 305 then it is a V-8 not a V-6,, the 305 is about 160 to 180+ hp range,, Also look closely at the floor boards and frame rails, front and rear for rust,, it can look killer but be a walking death trap too,, the bottom of the doors for rot,, around the windshield, front & rear,, can you post some pics of the engine and body?? Matty man

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, well i do know there is quite a bit of rust around the rear fenders of the bed, but the inside is fine. I figure just replace the outside of it. The doors are fine with no rust / maybe some surface rust. I think the floorboards are fine as well. I would have to go to where the car is being held to get some pictures (which might take awhile since the owner is kind of busy and hard to get a hold of sometimes). And what do you mean by "It could be a walking death trap", is there something about the el caminos that I should know about before i go to deep into this? And being a V8 i suspect around 15-18mpg correct?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Sean, welcome to the site. X2 what matty man said!

Doug

·
Registered
134 Posts
When he says it could be a death trap hes referring to the rust. If there is too much in certain areas, the whole car could crumble in a crash. As far as mpg it depends on a few things. For one, the transmission. If it is a four speed it will get considerably better mpg on the highway then a three speed would. I myself have a 305 from a 91 camaro in my car, with a speed transmission, and I get about 10 in town and 14-15 on the highway. But, mine is not stock it has a few upgrades. As far as horsepower, my 91 305 has about 240 but a stock 87 is probably somewhere in the 140-160 range. You're sure its all stock? Check the carb and intake. Those are two of the first modifications anyone makes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Sean, (like the name:poke:)welcome from sunny central Florida.

X2 on checking for rust. It hides in some in-accessible places.

Lift up carpet behind seat, crawl under and check floors from underside also the frame rails over and near the rear diff and check around the rear window.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Sean, you didn't indicate how much this truck might cost, but with rust issues and a knock in the engine, you are in for some major expenses. The 305 can be rebuilt, or replaced. Probably cheaper in the long run to replace with a 350. GM Crate engines start at around $1600 up, plus gaskets, etc. Figure $2K minimum- more HP = More money!. Mileage if you have the 4 speed 200-4r trans ( which you might have) and hwy gearing could be in the low 20's on the hwy, and 15-17 around town.

If the engine is a V6, then it will be fuel injected ( TBI) I think, and your HP will be much lower ( maybe 100?). If you want performance out of your truck, then a V8 swap will likely be in your horizon.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sounds like the cruck has two issues, the engine and the rest of it. If it ran well but needed cosmetics the price should be two grand-ish, maybe? needing an engine also, it should be almost parts-car cheap. That being said, if it is that cheap, who has diagnosed the engine? What is the 'noise'? Sometimes a seller is playing dumb about mechanical problems. Sometimes they're not playing. By the way, I get close to 20mpg (a little more on the highway) with a 305 and 200c transmission. Patrick.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sounds like the cruck has two issues, the engine and the rest of it. If it ran well but needed cosmetics the price should be two grand-ish, maybe? needing an engine also, it should be almost parts-car cheap. That being said, if it is that cheap, who has diagnosed the engine? What is the 'noise'? Sometimes a seller is playing dumb about mechanical problems. Sometimes they're not playing. By the way, I get close to 20mpg (a little more on the highway) with a 305 and 200c transmission. Patrick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts