El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Not sure if anyone will be reading this, but here's some background on me. I graduated high school at the age of 16, and am currently attending university. As I take 24 credits a semester I will have my Bachelor's at age 18 as I graduate in August 2020. To congratulate me on my progress, my grandad passed down his 1979 Conquista in the hopes that I would be restoring it with my dad. It's in pretty good condition aside from paintwork and some unoriginal parts as well as no AC. We've also purchased an all-original 1974 for parts to use within 1979. We will be posting quite a bit within this forum to gain more insight and guide us along this journey. I look forward to exchanging information with all of you!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
Welcome from Florida ! nice work on the schooling
The 74 parts will not work on the 79 except maybe some engine parts
the 74 is a 4th gen 73-77 & the 79 is a 5th gen 78-87

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Florida ! nice work on the schooling
The 74 parts will not work on the 79 except maybe some engine parts
the 74 is a 4th gen 73-77 & the 79 is a 5th gen 78-87
What about the AC parts? Do you know anything about compatability of these systems?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
What about the AC parts? Do you know anything about compatability of these systems?
Don't think so either ?, I was told not to use some of the used parts from the AC
better to buy new like the compressor, dryer, orifice tube ?
Will let some of the AC experts chime in

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Hi alureian, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. My son put a 73 engine in the 78. He put it in straight from the 73, but he didn't transfer the air conditioning. Have fun with your 79 Coquista, that's a great gift.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Was it an original AC car or are you attempting to add a system where there never was one? Assuming you are looking to add a system into an originally non-AC car, you have a couple of options. The first is to get a 78-87 El Camino, Monte Carlo, or Malibu parts car and/or find the correct AC firewall box, correct vacuum lines, dash switch and a few odds and ends. I would purchase a compressor, dryer, and condenser new. As far as AC parts go, the 4th gen you have is mostly worthless.
Your other option would be to get a vintage air system and work with that. They biggest problem is that they don't make a direct kit for our cars so you will have to work with either a full universal kit or one that is sold 3rd parts made for turbo Buick G bodies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was it an original AC car or are you attempting to add a system where there never was one? Assuming you are looking to add a system into an originally non-AC car, you have a couple of options. The first is to get a 78-87 El Camino, Monte Carlo, or Malibu parts car and/or find the correct AC firewall box, correct vacuum lines, dash switch and a few odds and ends. I would purchase a compressor, dryer, and condenser new. As far as AC parts go, the 4th gen you have is mostly worthless.
Your other option would be to get a vintage air system and work with that. They biggest problem is that they don't make a direct kit for our cars so you will have to work with either a full universal kit or one that is sold 3rd parts made for turbo Buick G bodies.
Already exists, just broken. Thanks a bunch for the alternative cars though, good insight.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Be more specific than ‘broken’. Is it all there, just doesn’t work? You may have a simple problem that needs a couple of components and a charge of refrigerant. Is there a belt on the compressor? All pieces intact? Try jumpering the compressor and see if it comes on. If so, either put a vacuum on the system to see if it holds or spend/waste $30 on freon, charge it, and see what happens.
Patrick

·
Registered
285 Posts
Already exists, just broken. Thanks a bunch for the alternative cars though, good insight.
Be more specific than ‘broken’. Is it all there, just doesn’t work? You may have a simple problem that needs a couple of components and a charge of refrigerant. Is there a belt on the compressor? All pieces intact? Try jumpering the compressor and see if it comes on. If so, either put a vacuum on the system to see if it holds or spend/waste $30 on freon, charge it, and see what happens.
Patrick
This really simplifies what'll be needed to get it running again. I'm also curious as to what you consider broken. If its blowing warm but the blower motor is working then the compressor is your first step with a leak test being the next after. Its also probably worth checking the vacuum lines, vacuum reservoir, checking the points on the AC switch panel in the dash, the blower motor resistor, and checking the connector for said resistor (this is actually a key one as they tend to melt and short out if a worn out blower motor is drawing too much current). Fortunately this stuff is all so cheap its pretty much not worth it to buy anything but new. If you do end up replacing the blower motor as I did with a cheap rebuilt auto parts store unit, make sure the grounding point isn't painted over like it was on mine. A multimeter will be helpful in checking resistances on this job and many others you'll have to do on your Elco. If you aren't getting much air in through the vents in the car, it may also be worth resealing the 2 halves of the AC box in the engine bay with a tube of RTV. It made a huge difference in how much air I was getting in the cab when I resealed mine.
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. My car's AC system was pretty shoddy from so many people messing with it over the years that I've had my hands in every pretty part of it within the last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Patrick
Been broken since my grandad initially purchased it many years ago. I believe someone tried to fix it and ended up stripping some parts out entirely and never replacing them. It's in shambles and in need of a whole new system. I couldn't tell you specifics as my dad is the one fixing and I'm just here for research to help him along the way. Thanks for the insight though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This really simplifies what'll be needed to get it running again. I'm also curious as to what you consider broken. If its blowing warm but the blower motor is working then the compressor is your first step with a leak test being the next after. Its also probably worth checking the vacuum lines, vacuum reservoir, checking the points on the AC switch panel in the dash, the blower motor resistor, and checking the connector for said resistor (this is actually a key one as they tend to melt and short out if a worn out blower motor is drawing too much current). Fortunately this stuff is all so cheap its pretty much not worth it to buy anything but new. If you do end up replacing the blower motor as I did with a cheap rebuilt auto parts store unit, make sure the grounding point isn't painted over like it was on mine. A multimeter will be helpful in checking resistances on this job and many others you'll have to do on your Elco. If you aren't getting much air in through the vents in the car, it may also be worth resealing the 2 halves of the AC box in the engine bay with a tube of RTV. It made a huge difference in how much air I was getting in the cab when I resealed mine.
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. My car's AC system was pretty shoddy from so many people messing with it over the years that I've had my hands in every pretty part of it within the last year.
It needs a whole new system as some pieces are completely missing where someone tried to strip the system and never replaced some of the parts. So broken as in there is no hope in its current state lol. Sorry for not clarifying, thanks for the insight I'll let you know if I have any questions!

·
Registered
285 Posts
It needs a whole new system as some pieces are completely missing where someone tried to strip the system and never replaced some of the parts. So broken as in there is no hope in its current state lol. Sorry for not clarifying, thanks for the insight I'll let you know if I have any questions!
No worries, if you can maybe post up some pictures, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious about the whole thing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts