El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i'm putting this in the right spot.....

Wanted to see if anyone can recommend what I can do to shut my freakin' windshield up.:angry:
The thing makes a creaky noise whenever I hit a bump. The noise comes from inside on the driver side right where the glass meets the dash. I recently replaced the windshield a few months ago but it was making the noise even before that. Annoying thing sounds like two egg cartons are making love.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Its not your windshield I'm sure,its your dash rubbing against something. In certain temperatures the plastic expands and contracts and it will squeak . Let someone else drive and you move the dash around till you can track it. BE CAREFUL when you press on the dash plastic ,its old and will crack !! If you find an area that is rubbing you may be able to tighten or loosen a screw or put a material like blotter paper between the pieces to just try it. WP

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
X2 on the dash. Maybe even check and see if the pillar trim is rubbing the side of the dash.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just rip out the old dash and get a lightweight racing deck like I am doing...It'll (probably!) work out great. :poketoungeb:

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Raise the hood and check the bolt that sticks up and the hood has a notch that slips by it when closed. Also put a little silicone spray on the rubber across the cowl.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
On mine.. the hood support just above the distributer was causing the sound. I put a dab of grease on there, where the hood rubbed, and the noise went away. That was 7 yrs ago.

Reactions: dmosko

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
X2 on that!

On mine.. the hood support just above the distributer was causing the sound. I put a dab of grease on there, where the hood rubbed, and the noise went away. That was 7 yrs ago.
Your suggestion solved a squeak that drove me crazy! I found your post right after I joined ECC last year April? It was still cold with snow on the ground when I did it but when spring came around it was like heaven! It was GONE just like that! And it had drove the P.O. crazy! Naturally he didn't tell me about it when I had it shipped here! I was all over that dash and windshield etc. I hope you as lucky as I was! :cool4:

·
Supporting Member
4,439 Posts
X3 on greasing that little post. It's a known problem.

Reactions: dmosko

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BINGO!!!

I don't think i'd ever find it with me thinking it was coming from inside. But when I opened the hood, right away I knew that was the issue. Sprayed it with WD40 for now & that quieted it down. So nice & peaceful now.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Having read this post and having my second EC with this issue, I tried a little white lithium grease and the noise disappeared. Remarkable.
I also thought the noise was coming from inside the car. I didn't have high hopes this would be a fix.
Where else in the world would you get an answer to this problem?
Thanks guys!!! :hail:

A big rep point for all who contributed.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
How awesome is that!?! I don't know if my 77 has one but I'll look as soon as I get home. ECC rocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you! - It worked

I've had the windshield creaking problem ever since I've had my el camino (about 2 years). It was always more pronounced when it was cooler outside. I should have checked here sooner, I didn't think there was an easy fix. I also had my windshield replaced and it make the noise before and after. I just applied a little grease to the hood support knob and and went for a very enjoyable drive with no creaking!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let me belatedly join the kudos to the answer to the windshield noise problem. Thought I would just have to put up with it. Doesn't sound "old" anymore. Thx!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad you found it. I had a similar issue, but mine turned out to be the hood screen was loose. sadly, I find new noises everytime we take the old girl out. hope to have it all worked out this summer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts