El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, dumb question time. My license plate lights were missing the plastic lenses. I purchased two repro license plate light assemblies. The problem I have is once installed nothing on the light assembly holds the plastic lenses in place and they just float around loosely inside the light assembly along with the rubber gasket. Anyone know how to resolve other then siliconing them in place.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem Resolved

Okay, dumb question time. My license plate lights were missing the plastic lenses. I purchased two repro license plate light assemblies. The problem I have is once installed nothing on the light assembly holds the plastic lenses in place and they just float around loosely inside the light assembly along with the rubber gasket. Anyone know how to resolve other then siliconing them in place.

Thanks, Dave
I resolved the problem. THe reproduction license plate light assembies is made in Taiwan and even thought the box reads "Genuine GM" I feel they are made improperly -- in other words they don't fit correctly.

I ended up placing a dab of clear silicone inside the chrome metal 3/4" moon and placed the clear plastic lens inside as it should be. I then ran a bead of clear silicone all around the edges of the clear plastic lens on the backside and let it sit for 24 hrs. I used two rubber gaskets around the bulb instead of the one so the backside of the lens would press tightly against the gaskets when installed. I also canned the 3/4" metal screws which came with the assemblies since no way in hell you can tighten the lights securely to the bumper using them. I purchased 6/32 3/4" length stainless steel machine bolts which have the tapered phillips head along with stainless steel speed nuts so you can really have a secure attachment when bolted in place on the bumper.

I installed and they look great.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sounds like a good remedy. I have had similar poor luck with repro part fit and finish. That is why I have posted many gripes I have with repro retailers. I believe they care less about fine details as long as they enjoy a captive market that offers little choices.
The term "genuine GM" means zilch in this day and age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts