El Camino Central Forum banner
221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I connected the fuel lines pieces that I put on this morning to the fuel tank. 1 for the return and the other for the tank vent. I’ll have to run the fuel line from the Sniper to the fuel pump before I can lift the tank up to it’s place in the straps.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
1,095 Posts
Good idea to wind some tape onto the fuel line. Indicates where you want to cut. Keeps outer covering from fraying such that you can't put the fittings on,:)

·
Senior Member Participating Member
1,095 Posts
.75 wide masking tape. Don’t want to use something super sticky so that it unravels your hose cover when you remove tape.:)

Reactions: 78 Elk

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I took the fuel regulator off that I was using with the Holley Street Avenger today. I also took off the mechanical fuel pump today also. What's the best cleaner to clean off where the mechanical fuel pump was,so I can put a gasket and cover plate on it?

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
350 Posts
I took the fuel regulator off that I was using with the Holley Street Avenger today. I also took off the mechanical fuel pump today also. What's the best cleaner to clean off where the mechanical fuel pump was,so I can put a gasket and cover plate on it?
Usually you will use a razor blade, soft wire brush, and Emory cloth or another finer grit sandpaper. Resist the urge to use a dremel or drill sander as you can easily put deep scratches in the metal. You want to make sure that the gasket area looks brand new and completely unscratched before you put the gasket back on. Some people will also tell you to put some gasket sealer on, but that’s optional. Again, be careful not to scratch the metal too much. Cleaning old gaskets off is about patience.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thank you. I believe it's a gasket from a tube, not regular gasket material.
Make sure it’s fuel resistant. I will never use the tube gasket maker because it always seems to leak a few months down the road. But I’m also the idiot that refuses to follow the directions on the package. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
It turns out that it was regular gasket material, with extra glue on the very top of it. Here's a picture of engine where it was mounted.
Helmet Sports equipment Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I've got it cleaned up pretty good. If it's not clean enough, please let me know. Will a cereal box work for gasket material?

·
Registered
350 Posts
It turns out that it was regular gasket material, with extra glue on the very top of it. Here's a picture of engine where it was mounted. View attachment 150562
I've got it cleaned up pretty good. If it's not clean enough, please let me know. Will a cereal box work for gasket material?
You want to get some sandpaper and sand the rest of that paint off. Napa I’m sure has a regular gasket in stock for it.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Thank you. The old gasket went from the top to just past the hole where the pump went in. I checked with NAPA, AutoZone and O'Rileys and no one had gaskets or gasket material. This all surprised me that auto parts stores don't carry gasket material.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Thank you. That's like the one that was on there. I'm going to have to get new bolts to go with the cover I have. Here's a picture of it. The dark spot is a shadow. It's a very clean and nice looking plate. It'll take 4 bolts,2 3/8 inch and 2 1/4 inch.
Grey Wood Composite material Concrete Metal

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
I just got a gasket for the fuel pump block plate and some new bolts. Don't know if the bolts are chrome, but I'll use them to start with. What's the best glue to use on the gasket?

221 - 240 of 268 Posts