El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Here's a picture of the gas tank from my 78 El Camino. I haven't cleaned it up at all. I just wanted to share it with you so you can see the shape it's in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you bought the wrong sending unit. they really do not make the correct unit any more. I bought a s-10 sending unit and modified that to fit a 22 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Grey Font Rectangle Label Brand

Here is the box with the label that says that it fits the 78-87 El Camino for 22 gallon tank. What let's you know it's the wrong one? When did you purchase your sender and who did you buy it from?

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
you bought the wrong sending unit. they really do not make the correct unit any more. I bought a s-10 sending unit and modified that to fit a 22 gallon tank.
I would like to know what it's problem is. Please share your information. So far I don't know if it's going to work. I'm trying to modify it so I can hook up my electric fuel pump to it in the gas tank. I'd like to hear from you so I can learn more. Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would like to know what it's problem is. Please share your information. So far I don't know if it's going to work. I'm trying to modify it so I can hook up my electric fuel pump to it in the gas tank. I'd like to hear from you so I can learn more. Thank you.
the sending unit you bought was for the non EFI hence no where to install the fuel pump inside the tank. options are to buy a efi sending unit or buy an external fuel pump. I do not think that a 85-87 elco EFI sending unit is no longer made so I myself used a 92-94 s10 sending unit. you may try these guys 85-87 El Camino 4.3L EFI Fuel Sending Unit, GBodyParts.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went through the same thing when I converted my '87 to EFI. You can get the sending unit you need from dixierestorationdepot.com. Part # DM90219. All you need to do is connect your pump to the sending unit outlet tube and connect the wires from the sending unit to the pump. I used an A/C pump on mine, part #EP241, and it fit right in place. The return line inlet at the sending unit is 1/4 inch tube, so you might need a reducer, depending on what size return line you are using. I was able to get a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer from Amazon for about 10 bucks. One last thing, since you are not using a tank from a fuel injected model, you won't have any baffling in the tank to prevent fuel slosh. So... you will need to keep your fuel above 1/4 tank to keep your engine from losing fuel pressure and stalling during "spirited" driving. Holley does make a pump with an absorbent mat to remedy this condition, but... I'm not sure if it will fit in the fuel sending unit opening on our tanks. Do not remove the plastic baffle from your existing sending unit to use it as return or supply line, or you will create other issues. If you insist on using the one you have, the best thing to do would be to have another tube installed into it, to use for the supply line. Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thank you for your help. Right now I have 1 ordered from GBodyparts and see how it connects up. It’s for a 85-87 El Camino.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,064 Posts
I bought fuel pump/fuel guage sending unit from Rockauto. I selected 87 el camino V6.
I followed the advice from Holley; removed the factory (Rockauto) fuel pump and installed the Holley unit.
Mine is quiet and trouble free for the past 6,000 miles
The only issue is the return & vent lines are 5/16" and Holley specifies supply & return should be 3/8" minimum. You could change your return line to 3/8" with a little effort and have a very clean installation

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thank you. I’m not sure what the line size will be on the one from GBodyparts. I’m not sure when it will get here.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,064 Posts
The V6 was an EFI in 87 and the sender/ pump dropped right in the tank. That's why I chose that one

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That's very cool. This one is for 85-87 for EFI also. I just don't know what is there until it's in my hands. Hope mine is the same as yours.

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The shelf on the bottom is for the fuel pump. Does the hydromat go on top or below the shelf?

41 - 60 of 134 Posts