El Camino Central Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
What does your vendor suggest for sealing up the pump wire hole? For me, I have a separate fuel pump assembly and a separate sending unit assembly - two sealed mounting holes in the top of my tank with sealed holes for the pump wires and the sender wires.

I'd call the vendor and see what they say but the links above describe what I'm running.

Rick

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I'll have to check, but I think the wire hole is sealed. My question is how to seal the wire two wire connectors for the pump to the fuel sender inside the tank? I thought the electric connection should be sealed so the fuel won't get into those connections.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Fuel getting into the connectors doesn't seem to matter. Its certainly not an explosion hazard because there's not enough oxygen inside the tank to support combustion.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Here is a picture of hose clamps to be used on the electric fuel pump.
Flash photography Vision care Eyewear Gesture Grey

Which is the best one to use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
can that filter screen be rotated to where the return line can always dump fuel on it to keep it wet? as you said there is no bowl of splash plate in that tank so you have to think about keeping it wet when the tank is low so when on a freeway ramp, it keeps the fuel starvation to a minimum on the curve.

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I don't know, and I can't check it out now. I just put the unit in the fuel tank.
R Add
Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plumbing Asphalt

I guess if it gives me problems, have to take it back out make changes.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It's been a while since I've gone through this whole thread but if that tank is a carb style non-baffled I'm almost positive you're going to have issues with fuel starvation below a 1/4 tank, possibly half tank around corners if you're using a regular fuel sock filter. In fact I had fuel starvation issues at relatively low fuel levels even with the '87 EFI tank with a stock fuel sock in mine. I ended up switching to a Roadmaster tank which has way better baffling but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Thank you. This tank is different than my original 17 gallon. The metal at the back end has a rounded point towards the fuel sender.

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Doesn’t the metal on inside of my fuel tank work like a baffle? It’s a formed piece that the point is very close to the sender. No matter which way you turn, the gas will be pushed towards the sender.

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,064 Posts
I used my original, non baffled, stock fuel tank when I installed my EFI. I haven't experienced any fuel starvation issues in the first 6,000 miles

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Here's a picture of the Holley Street Avenger that I'm taking off. I started unhooking some of the cables today.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive fuel system

I have taken 2 of the 3 cables so far. I have the one on the bottom yet to go.

·
Premium Member
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I removed the choke wire and the brake vacuum line from the carburetor today so far. I also loosened the bolts holding down the carburetor.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts