El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Airlift 1000 package from Summit Was well Packaged and everything seems to work OK. What holds the spacer in the bottom of the spring in place. Mine look like they need to be adjusted into place. Is this normal.... ? 8)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Frankie, When you inflate the bag it will hold the spacer in place. One suggestion, run two air lines. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Larry

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
When you inflate the bags those spacers will be held in place. On the original bags I had one spacer for each bag but when I had to replace one bag Air Lift sent me a shorter bag and two spacers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GUYS. thanks for the input, I did run two lines, and the bags are checking 15 lbs today. It is a little firm, but the rear end is higher, which I wanted. The handling is better, although I was sceptical of that. I am goin to re-adjust the hard rubber "spacer" to sit better in the spring, I am not satisfied with it partly sticking out. On my 85, I did have to remove a "cup looking thing" from the top of the springmount , in order for mine to fit. I guess that cup is to eliminate bottoming out of the spring, and to hold the spring in place. Anyway, the air bag now does that....... Thanks for the info, and I have monitored the forum for a while, and all the free advise is right on target, and also FREE>>>>>>>> what a great country... Tomahawke 8)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
You shouldn't have removed that "cup like thing" at the top spring mount. It's there to keep the spring from being displaced whne the shock fully extends. Put it back.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe I did something wrong when I installed mine. The instructions said the rubber spacer went on top of the air bag, so to me that says the nipple on the air bag is pointing up. I took the spring out to install the air bag as I was doing some other suspension work at the same time. I removed the upper cup, ran the air line down through the hole left from removing the bolt out of the cup. Even with the shock removed and the suspension hanging, the spring is still tight against the upper cushion, so no fear of the spring coming out. It sounds like everyone else put the bag in so the airline was at the bottom?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have contacted Tech Support at AirLift. They advised me that the valve and spacers are installed on the bottom and not to remove the cup. The cup prevents the spring from being dislodged during full jounce.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
You shouldn't have removed that "cup like thing" at the top spring mount. It's there to keep the spring from being displaced whne the shock fully extends. Put it back.
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I need some help here. I am installing my AIRLIFT kit in my fifth gen. I also have this cup shaped part in the upper spring mount. I feel tht if I leave that cup in there it would eventually cut into the air bag. Anybody have that happen?
Thanks for any advise.
This is the cup I am talking about:
IMG_3474.jpg

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Well, after getting no answers I decided to do the airbag install my way. I did remove the upper cup shaped thing from the upper spring mount. I am sure that if you leave it in there it will eventually cut into the airbag. At first I put it in the lathe and squared it in order to remove the sharp edges:
IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

But that did not make me feel comfortable, so I decided to remove the cup entirely, install the airbag with the nipple pointing upwards and place the insulator on the upper side of the airbag. That made a lot of sense to me since the airlines feeding tha airbags would be stationary and not moving up and down with suspension travel.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
To compensate for the depth variation inside the spring due to the removal of the cup in the upper spring mount, and to eliminate the possibility of the lower spring mount cutting into the airbag (sharp edges there too) I fabricated a lower airbag seat that fits into the lower spring mount and compensates for the above mentioned variation:

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
And this is how it looks after finishing the install:
IMG_3482.jpg

I did instal the supplied heat shields, just in case

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

Also installed separate airlines to the airbags. I do go to the strip every once in a while and being able to load the suspension on the passenger side seems like a nice feature

IMG_3485.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here are the instruction for the install:
El Caminos fall under "A". I know, confusing. So the supplied protector would go on the bottom of the spring , on top of the spring perch on the axle. And the stem of the airbag is on the bottom.
I had the same question about the upper cup in regards to it rubbing the airbag. At the moment mine are not in but I think I might go back and see if it will fit and how meets up wit the top of the airbag.
I don't think the spring would be able to come out unless the shock is removed though.

The protector always goes on the stem side of the air spring (figs. 5a and 5b).
a. 1962 and up GM vehicles and 1966–1990 Ford vehicles: Push the air spring to
the top of the coil and insert protector on top of lower spring seat (fig. 5a).
b. 1991 and up Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, 2000 Suburban, 4DR-
4WD Tahoe and Yukon, Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, Avalanche, Kia Sorento,
Hummer H2, Pathfinder and Escalade: Push air spring to the bottom of the coil
and insert protector at the top (fig. 5b).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I followed the instructions on mine:

Every time I drive my car I am amazed with how well it rides. I keep 5 lbs in the bags. I am truly impressed with these KYG Gas-a-just monotube shocks too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thank you all for the info and pics. I’m getting ready to upgrade my suspension. I have Bilstein shocks for the front in the garage. Figured I’d change sway bars too. I turn my own wrenches and literally...a shade tree mechanic, FL Live Oaks.

As such, I’ll be in my back and want to learn as much as possible...the lil details that get ya.

My air shocks work but have yet to find that perfect air pressure. On occasion, my rear rubs the fender lip.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thank you all for the info and pics. I’m getting ready to upgrade my suspension. I have Bilstein shocks for the front in the garage. Figured I’d change sway bars too. I turn my own wrenches and literally...a shade tree mechanic, FL Live Oaks.

As such, I’ll be in my back and want to learn as much as possible...the lil details that get ya.

My air shocks work but have yet to find that perfect air pressure. On occasion, my rear rubs the fender lip.
Maybe replace the rear springs while you're at it? You can get factory height replacement springs for like $80 from Summit if I remember correctly. I did springs, new Gas-A-Just shocks and the air lift system all at once and it made a huge improvement.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Joe
there is no perfect air pressure for air shocks, old technology, and a bad ride..
get some Airlift bags,
BUT, there not designed to lift the rearend, if that's what u need..
and run 2 separate air lines, even on the air shocks, BIG difference..
yes x2, add arear sway bar if you don't have one, BIG difference,,
then see if you need a bigger front bar..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I can get about 3" of lift with mine. The 5 pounds I run gives me just a little lift to a perfect stance and ride when I'm carrying nothing in the bed.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Keep in mind that both bags and air shocks aren't designed to lift the vehicle permanently, just when needed for a load. If you are looking to raise the rear get new springs to do it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If 5 lbs in my bags with no load gives me the perfect ride height then I'm golden. And that's what I've got.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts