El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. To be honest, I had no clue the air shock was for load only. Still learning the paltform. My car was built in 2005 by the the prior owner.
Lots of money was spent, I have the receipts. New crate engine, tranny, rear, interior paint etc. But the suspension system to me appears stock.

I'm running 275x60x15s in the rear and it will rub if you hit something.
I do make the occasional Home Depot run. I sold my truck after I sold my boat.
I love my ElKy. She's my gal but she's my only "truck" now.

I'll add rear springs to the list!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Do you like your stance?
I assume your clearance issue is at the quarter lip. Have you thought about rolling it or trimming the edge off a little?
Whatever you do I would suggest losing the air shocks and get a set of bags. Yes they are more for leveling a load but there's no law against using them to raise the body a little. Ride may suffer a little though so it's not the most ideal thing to do. 10 lbs in the bags won't hurt your ride and you may get a little lift out of them at that pressure. Like I said, I get a little lift with just 5 lbs in mine and that's the minimum pressure you can run.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
from AirLift site
""Can air springs raise or lower my vehicle?
Answer
No. While adding air can cause your vehicle to ride an inch or two higher,
air springs are not designed to raise your vehicle above factory height.
If you DO want to lower your vehicle, visit Airlift,
which feature air spring systems designed to replace your existing
suspension for lowered stance and higher performance.""
what I meant was you wont get any where near the change in ride height like the air-shocks..
to me that's about all air-shocks are good for,, and a bad ride..
for load carrying,, airshocks move the load from the springs/mounts designed
to carry the load, to the smaller/thinner shock mounts designed just to dampen the load..
with Airlift bags on cars with shorter springs you will get a little more lift..
if you want more lift, deflate the bags, jack the cruck rear up and air-up the bags..
I am curious how the Airlift bags work with the dual-rate springs tho..
probly less improvement in the stiffness of the spring,
than the regular springs..

·
Registered
892 Posts
We are in agreement here. It was that inch or 2 I was talking about. You get a little lift even running the minimum 5 psi. Don't know how much lift the OP needs but it is not ideal to depend on the lift you would get by adding bags. Better to deal with the situation with tire size or quarter panel adjustment. Even if his springs have some sag, the root of the problem should be dealt with. Changing out springs because the originals have sag doesn't solve the problem. Bumpy roads are still going to cause the tires to hit if they don't have the clearance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh wow...I figured out posting pics! @Roger: I’ll find better stance pics but yes I do like the stance. You nailed where it rubs. I have a slight score line on the tire. Run about 5-8 lbs, going slowly over speed bumps it won’t rub but squeaks.
7272DBF0-8B01-41EC-9CD4-A25EDAD2AA6E.jpeg

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ah, old-school stance!
Higher than I guessed. If it's the stance you want to keep, swap to springs that will raise the car to that level.
Too high to pump-up bags to do it and you already know the repercussions of doing with air shocks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thxs guys. Wheels are American Racing. 15×8 front/rear.
I bought new tires, same size as how I purchased it. I knew they were 15×8.

I told the tech to pls measure backspace/ off set. Yeah, you guessed it...dude told me the rim size😨

I haven't jacked her to remove and measure but I have no choice.
Tire: 275/60 and 235/60. Also, I'm running Wilwood calipers and slot/vented rotors all corners, so I'm not sure what mods if any were required to go disc. Gotta factor all that .

I'm really Jonesing for American Torq. Thrust IIs.

The pic with the cars are my toys. 2001 Jeep, 1965 Toyota Landcruiser and my daily, '14 SS. I work on all of them....modding, learning the platform...participating in various forums.

Money and time management and did I mention money somewhat limits my wrenching.

**But...My pride and joy is "miSSe", named after my wife.

She could use a lil pampering....but she's fine as is....
Sooo......I try to spend as much time riding her as I can.

Also...I feel at home here...this site is great.
Never imagined I'd own an Elky....was love at first sight.

OP...my apologies for hijacking your thread...pls keep us posted.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts