El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
"the idle is good in park but once I put it in drive or reverse it dies"

You could just do what I do when I drive my old Chevy pickup that has a hot cam. I just put it in neutral until I'm ready to go. You may need a torque convertor with a higher stall speed.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
With long duration drag racing cams on the street, I used to remove the distributor advance weight springs and run full advance, the points spring acted as a start retard.. Make a mark at 30 BTDC and use that as your new timing mark. The start retard only works with points systems.

The best fix is to use a shorter duration cam, the car will be faster on the street and less erratic and over all more fun to drive...

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I sure hope you know what you’ve gotten into with that cam. They are designed for a great “racy” sound, but not as much power as other grinds. A friend has one in his 454 and just yesterday finally ordered a Comp XE274 to replace it. His car is quite fast with the Thumpr, but he’s leaving a lot of power on the table just to have the lumpy idle sound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the mega thumper roller cam in my 78 van. That cam works fine with stock converter. I have my timing set at 8° and using a dual plane airgap intake with 750 carb. No problems with idling in gear. Crazy as it sounds, if you pulled the engine for the install by chance maybe the torque converter isn't locked in all the way. Just a thought, good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the power valve I measure vacuum it’s at 13 on the gauge I think my carb is small for engine I feel it needs more cfm I ordered the Holley speed demon

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,284 Posts
heck, it should run fine according to the spec.,:dontknow:
.Designation XE274H-10
Duration @ 0.006": 274° / 286° Duration @ 0.050": 230° / 236°
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR: .487" / .490" Lobe Separation: 110°
Lobe ID#'s: 5445 / 5208 Intake Centerline: 106°
Engine Type: Chevrolet 350 Small Block
Bore: 4.040" Stroke: 3.480"
Displacement: 356ci Compression: 9.25:1
Heads: Dart S/R Intake: Edelbrock Performer