El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,anyone done this? since i have the sp type dash,with the round speedo n stuff, i bought some autometer ultralight gauges for the sprint.

2 1/16th gauges for the idiot light holes,and the 3 3/4 i beleive speedo and in dash tach,in the ultra light silver series

got the water temp,oil press,fuel level,voltmeter

might put my nitrous kit on the 455,dont know yet 8O

anybody got pics if its been done before

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
This is not the best picture but will give you an idea of what I'm doing. In the dash is Tach, Fuel, Volt, & Speedo from left to right. In the A-piller is Trans temp, Oil pressure, & Water temp top to bottom. The pods are a temp setup and I have a triple molded gauge pod that will be going in soon. All of the gauges are Ultralite electronic gauges.

This will give you an idea what the dash will look like in the end.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I replaced the Speedo & Clock in the 80 SS with Automenter Speedo and Tac. I kept the factory Gas, Oil, Amp and Water gages. They could be replaced with little problems later the dash on that 80, or that section, is pretty simple to remove.

On the 76, for now, I just added some gages that mount under the dash and a 2 5/8 Tac that is mounted on the left next to the Speedo. It partially blocks the 0-10 Mph range and the left turn signal.

Later I'll get a dash out of a Monty or something like that and re-gage the dash. It'll be more factory "Type" layout.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Guys,
I know this might sound alittle stupid but I wonder if you could tell me if a 76 Chevelle dash would fit into a 76 Elkie.I'm pretty sure the Monte carlo does but not sure about the Chevelle.I have the Classic long speedo dash know and want to change over to the Tach/Speedo dash as in the SS so I can add the other gauges without having to setup gauges under my dash.I guess I would need to get a new harness for it as well huh??
Also does anyone know of anyone would sells the seat belts for a 76 with Swivel Bucket seats??The last owner cut the shoulder harness strap and I found a shop would would redo it but would take 6-8 weeks and ain't gonna be cheap!!If not I might just try to redo it myself and maybe get the wife to put her sewing skills to work!
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Some dashes had Gages in them. The 76 SS Elky, The Montys (Some of them) and Chevelles (Some of them). What you'll find is those had two large round gages, Speedometer and "Economy" (Measured intake vacuum) then the traditional Oil, Water, Amp and Gas gages were small round gages.

If you can find that dash then you can use it. You'd do best to completely replace all the gages with Autometer or some other good gage. You could also send it to Decota Digital and they would populate it with Electronic gages for a cost.

I am pretty sure that the factory wiring harness is not going to match between the two dashes.

Is that any help at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts