El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I just started a complete restoration of an '83 el camino that I've had sitting in my driveway for a couple of years. I love the trucks and have owned 5 over the years. I've always wanted to do a restoration but have never found the time to start.

I've jumped in feet first! The LS1 corvette engine arrives next week, my favorite tranny mechanic is building a 4L60E for it, we've picked out the right color (major family topic for a couple of weeks) and I'm in the throws of figuring out what to do with the interior.

I bought a couple of 45lb solenoids to pop the doors (I plan to shave the door handles.) I mounted the solenoids and used copper rod and clamps to attach them to the door latching mechanism. Everything works but the door only opens to a 1/2 latch postion when I push the button. Any thoughts on what to do to get it to open all the way?

I'm a novice at this and I'm sure I'm missing something simple!

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

Jerry Tilley aka Boxtakilla.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I'm not a pro on this but I thought there were springs that were suppose to help push the door open.

What color did you choose. I promise not to steal the idea. :wink:

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
This is what you need here:
Door poppers
You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere, but this gives you an idea.
I shaved mine as well. I began with 25 lbs solenoids and they just weren't strong enough. I now have a pair of 35 lbs, but they could do better. Where did you find the 45 lb'ers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've installed the spring and the door pops open from it but only to the 1/2 latch position. I can then push the button a second time while pulling on the door and it will open all the way. I'm wondering if the solenoid just isn't compressing the latch far enough the first time - could be the throw length on the solenoid. Not sure how that latch works. Any other suggestions, feedback or war stories are greatly appreciated!!

----

We finally decided on yellow with a blood-red & gold metal flake in it (for the record yellow is my wife's favorite color so you understand how that one went down) I've worked with the same paint and body guy for many years so I had him shoot a couple of samples plus I've seen at least one good looking yellow truck on this site (El Vette?) so I'm comfortable with that decision.
-----

As for the 45lb solenoids I ordered them from www.a1electric.com the part number is POP-2SOL. They also have a single 45lb solenoid kit. Thought about putting a similar set up in place to pop the hood.

-----

I'm not worried about you stealing any ideas from me, heck, I've been scoping out the pages of this site for weeks and have gained a great deal of ideas and inspiration from them.

POLTERGEIST - I've seen your web page -- sweet set of toys!! The elky is looking good and the SS is killer! I'm watching with interest the progress on your interior. I would like to know how you like the trans am seats when the're bolted in. Since the bench seat that's in my elky now has a short back I wondered about a high-back bucket.

ACUATH1 - I must admit that I've stolen a few ideas from you as well(hope you don't mind) including the thought to shave the door handles. It just makes the lines of the truck so clean. I've also scoped out the progress you're making on your interior and I like what I see.

I must admit the decisions about the interior are the most frustrating for me.

Again, thanks for the advice -- any feedback or suggestions you have are very much appreciated!

JT aka Boxtakilla

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Try shortening the the pull rods/cables.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Actually, that's the same kit I have. They claim on one page they are 35lb pull, on another they claim 45. Don't know for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

That's good to know and may have something to do with the problems I'm having. Since I've clamped a rod to the door pull, I'll try shortening up the door pull to see if that'll solve the problem.

JT

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I used the cables that came with the kit. Could be the solid rod is attempting to re-latch the the lock as the plunger returns to the up position.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
JT the T/A seats have been in since May when the car got back on the road. I like them. There seems to be good back support even when I've been sitting in them for a couple of hours I'm not uncomfortable. Much better then the one's in my SS. Just with there was enough room for me to lean them all the way back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. I was mostly wondering if the height of the buckets was a problem - sounds like it's not an issue.

BTW - I haven't been involved in any sort of restoration activity since I was a teenager and helped a couple of guys who lived in the neighborhood. I'm starting to remember how frustrating and satisfying it can and also how painful it can be. I'm sporting several new nicks cuts and scrapes from the last couple of day's activities.!!!

JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts