El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an '86 El C. The instrument cluster is very poorly lit at night. I'm fairly certain all the bulbs are in working order.
Has anyone got some ideas on how to brighten it up?

·
Registered
975 Posts
High resistance to the bulbs caused by dirty and tarnished contacts on the panel's flexible circuit board would be my number one guess.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,575 Posts
see this thread for brighter lights

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,575 Posts
click on the link (78-87 brighter lights) on this thread for members responses

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi billk, about the Monte Carlo SS dash light upgrade mentioned by 87next2last1, well, I did this mod about a year ago and it was simple and easy to do. I used Testor's model white paint. That worked the best, better than silver. The results are very good. I did as mentioned and I now run the dash lights a little over half twist of the light switch handle at night. Good luck on doing it. As mentioned in the article, be careful with tightning the screws on reassembly. I had one piece of dash mounting break but an easy fix with super glue and paper.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went into the instrument cluster today and upgraded some but not all of the bulbs and it did make a nice difference. But, as was mentioned, some of the female plastic receivers for the screws were so brittle they broke.
So, how about the super glue and paper fix? How was that done?
Unfortunately, one of the bulbs must not have had a good connection because it went out while on the night-time test drive. So, back into it tomorrow or right after Christmas.

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did the dash light upgrade when I got my '84 and it helped a lot. I just replaced them all again with dimmable LED's and it was much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts