El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I was wondering, cause I'm trying to save a buck or 10, if this thought is possible.

I have a 86 and it has the standard cluster, I would like to convert to the gague cluster. From what I can tell on the electrical diagrams is that the devices are very similar.

Oil pressure
to convert would need the gague and the switch replaced with a sender.

Coolant
to convert would need the gague and the switch replaced with a sender.

Voltmeter
to convert would need the gague.

Now I understand that the wires i will need will be on the "plastic" circuit traces. I can easily work with that.

Has anyone done this? Did it work well? Do you have pictures?

New cluster as gauges $1,000 +/- $300
Plus new sending units

New gauges to replace lights. $30 - $50 (x3)
Plus new sending units

Electronics are my hobby so the wiring isn't that big of a deal, my concern is will it fit right? My thought process is yes that they all start with the same base then "blanks" are used to fill in the holes where the gauges would be. Then again it could be completly different.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yes ,it has been done,and some where there is a thread with the correct pin location,on the connector at the rear of the cluster,just look and you will find,if i find the thread i will post the link,but its there! :texas:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Behold!

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=19853

hehe while the title kinda scared me off i broke down and checked it out. well it works out for the 86 as well maybe the title could be changed to reflect the different cars it's valid for not just a single one.

At anyrate! it has inspired me even more, I'm looking at about $200 bucks to get the change out from idiot lamps to something a bit more understanding.

Now that part is in the works time to think about headlights and tail lights. any ideas?

OHHHHH giggles like a kid in the candy store.... need more pictures. I'll start to document things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts