El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had insurance through Allstate on my El Camino for the last four years but was hoping this coming year I could change to a better company. One that will have an agreed value on the truck. Or at least a better value than what kbb shows for a vehicle this age.
I own a motorcycle which is mainly my daily driver but I also use the El Camino quite frequently. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can convince them that the bike is my main mode of transportation.
My problem is I do not own a garage. I've always lived in apartments and sometimes I have "covered parking" but never a garage.
Is there any company out there who will cover my situation? I briefly browsed Hagerty and Grundy which would have been my choices but they both have stipulations. I also tried the search function here but haven't found much conversations on my current situation.
Thanks for any input you guys!

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
I use an agent who uses American Modern Home as their insurer.

I have an agreed amount on my "classic" cars, but I do have garage space for all 5 of them, so not sure about what impact not having your vehicle garage kept would have on the price.

Give them a call: 1-800-397-0765

Bruce

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have had Hagerty for 5 years now and although they require a garage ( I do keep my 86 in a garage all the time) they don't check on it . And they don't check your mileage as they limit you to 2000 miles a year (which is about right for me) I have heard they don't have a limit anymore. And they don't require an appraisal ( I have mine insured for 12k) & I pay less than 300 a year which includes road service ( which I have used once).Maybe be you have a friend or neighbor or friend who would let you store your car there.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey James , I have been very pleased with State Farm Insurance for both of my Camino ' s with no mileage limit .... I have total coverage for my M/C and my trailer thru Bikeline.com for about $ 165.00 per year ... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
* I an in Calif, AAA does check odometer readings.
* AAA stopped by house/garage 3 times before insuring the El Camino.
* Saved about 10% by being a member of car club (NECOA).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had was refused collector car insurance a 79 corvette i once owned with haggarty because of no garage.... I have only a 1970s style carport not good enough for them evidently but most others have same restriction... The ones that will insure you for stated value and no garage then your rates rates are going to be sky high and don't forget many of collector car insurances have some sort of mileage restriction...... I was told by haggarty only to and from car shows...... no store trips or even errand runs at the end of the day insurance is risk but thats why collector car rates per year are really really low compared to normal collector car insurance companies like grundy and haggarty have very strict rules and policies...... :twisted:

·
Registered
106 Posts
What I ended up doing was going with Haggardy (even tho I don't have a garage) I told them that I was storing it in my father-in-laws garage (he does have one, it might fit but I doubt it) They just asked if he was cool with it. I told them yes, and the policy was written. The car will stay in my driveway :biggrin::biggrin: Under a cover

·
Registered
8 Posts
They don't check on it til you file a claim, would be my response. Is it worth the risk? Your call. All policies I looked at said locked garage, so carport wouldn't work either

·
Registered
64 Posts
Insurance

I contacted American Collectors whom I used since the early 1980's they state nothing can be carried in the bed with collectors insurance , check on that also, good luck, Pete :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
You DO NOT want to use American Modern Home for ANYTHING !!!!!!!! Not even a DOG PEN !!! I dith himeal with insurance companies in my construction business and I have had and seen nothing but sad dealings with our customers. They usually want to pay about half of what it takes to put a job back like it is supposed to be.
I use Grundy and have been VERY satisfied but they do require a garage. My Nationwide agent is a good friend of mine and during a conversation with him a couple weeks back he said they had gotten set up with Hagerty to write classic/antique ins.. You may want to talk to Nationwide about the Hagerty ins requirements.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
You DO NOT want to use American Modern Home for ANYTHING !!!!!!!! Not even a DOG PEN !!! I dith himeal with insurance companies in my construction business and I have had and seen nothing but sad dealings with our customers. They usually want to pay about half of what it takes to put a job back like it is supposed to be.
I use Grundy and have been VERY satisfied but they do require a garage. My Nationwide agent is a good friend of mine and during a conversation with him a couple weeks back he said they had gotten set up with Hagerty to write classic/antique ins.. You may want to talk to Nationwide about the Hagerty ins requirements.
I am not sure if Wayne is commenting on home owners or classic auto, but last year I had a claim with them on my '87 el Camino, they were VERY professional, no hassles, and paid the claim in FULL very quickly once I submitted the receipt.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Collector insurance

I've been turned down by both Haggerty and Grundy because of not having a garage that you can lock up....They want pictures of the garage and want to know what it is made of.Wood or concrete...YOU MIGHT GET THEM INSURED WITH A PICTURE OF SOMEONE ELSES GARAGE BUT COLLECTING ON A CLAIM WOULD BE FRAUD AND YOU RUN THE RISK OF AN INSPECTOR KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR....They did say that I could rent a garage that is lockable and concrete...I use State Farm for all my cars.The Elco was about $160 for the year

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everyone!! I'm thinking I'll try going with Hagerty and taking pictures of my truck in my fathers garage. He of course would never let me keep it there but at least I can dupe them into thinking its stored there. I'm just worried about them checking mileage? I usually put on at least 8k miles a year on the El Camino.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone!! I'm thinking I'll try going with Hagerty and taking pictures of my truck in my fathers garage. He of course would never let me keep it there but at least I can dupe them into thinking its stored there. I'm just worried about them checking mileage? I usually put on at least 8k miles a year on the El Camino.
It might be wise to remember that these forums are read by countless "guests" and it is possible that insurers and claim adjusters check out what is posted. If this sounds paranoid, it's not, considering the lengths many insurers go to in order to keep their clients honest.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If your state has an inspection program, the insurance company can access your mileage through the state's Vehicle Inspection system. Here in PA, the vehicle's mileage is submitted with the Annual Registration Renewal Form. So, they have two places to look. Plus, if you have your car inspected at Sears, etc., the mileage is in their computer system, accessible by any Tom, Dick, or Pedro.

Additionally, I see your are in Texas. You have hail there, I'm pretty sure. If you submit a claim for hail damage, they will want to know how that happened if it was in your father-in-law's garage. Something to think about.

I have Hagerty on my Corvette. Hagerty wants to insure cars that are in a very secure space. It cannot be a "carport", a "car cover", a "soft-sided shelter" or anything without a lockable door. They're particular about that. I have a two-car garage under my 3 BR Ranch and they initially wanted pictures of it. They asked, "Is it block or wood construction?" (block), "What type of ceiling is in the space?" (plaster), "Concrete or dirt floor?" (concrete), "Steel or wooden garage door?" (steel). Geez, I thought they were going to send an inspector out! All these things are concerning, what? Fire and Theft---theft being most important for a collector car, I think.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Insurance fraud and falsifying information on an application is a very serious issue. It may save you a few dollars now but it could cost you in the long run, everything from denial of claims to being banned from purchasing insurance and even being sued for contract fraud.

Friends, neighbors and yes, even post on a forum such as this one, are just some of the places a claims adjuster will check when your policy comes up for a routine check or renewal. Google maps satellite view is a lovely way to see that you don't have a garage. I recommend contacting your insurance carrier and come clean. Worst case is you need to pay more but there won't be any issues with the possibility of being banned from being able to get insurance again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had a lot of dealings/negotiations with adjusters professionally over the years (and had a couple as friends). It is the job of the insurance adjuster to do everything he can to minimize the amount, or deny any claim that they legally can. Many companies base their compensation on that performance. I would not be surprised to see them trolling forums, using Google Earth, or visiting the insured's address to "fact check". Fudging miles driven is one thing but falsification of an application could not only result in denial of claim, it could also create legal issues. Be very careful.

Hagerty requires a garage and I also had to take pictures from all angles including the interior of my El Camino. They also asked for an additional picture with the tailgate down to show I didn't have a NOS system. My cost is under $200 per year.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
using Google Earth.....
yep, the property tax appraisers for the county do that here in Texas when you protest your property taxes. huh, two can play at that game. I do my research better than them because I know which data is relevant.

.... asked for an additional picture with the tailgate down to show I didn't have a NOS system.
oh yeah, because if I had a NOS system that's exactly where I would hide it :poke:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh yeah, because if I had a NOS system that's exactly where I would hide it :poke:[/QUOTE]

Haha

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lockjaw you brought up a very viable point. I suppose I should kill this topic. I'll just have to figure this out myself. Sucks putting so much time and money into something I really enjoy driving frequently only to have some dumbass wreck into me at some point and have it all taken away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts