El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. In Harris County, Texas I just got a 45% increase with Progressive so I went with the aarp-hartford program but they would not offer full coverage for any older than 1990. So I wrote a pretty comprehensive policy on The Crime with Hagerty and am only $97 more on the three vehicles.

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
336 Posts
I went progressive, but I also didn’t have a 45% rate hike. Hagerty seems to be the go-to for most the people I talk to. I’ve also heard very good things about them for the few people I know that did have a claim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harris County (Houston), TX is one of the most expensive insurance locations in the country. Floods, Theft, Uninsured drivers and crazy fast drivers. I was recently hit by another Progressive driver and the claims experience was terrible. Adjusters leave you hanging won`t call back.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I'm with American Collectors for an "Agreed Value" policy at $25,000 for the payoff benefit. Cost was $383.51 last year with the ability to occasionally commute to work with it but I still must have a different vehicle for basic commuting, of course - and a locked garage. I may increase my coverage to $30,000 for the agreed value because I think my Meeno is worth it.

Rick

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The fellow I know and trust is a broker for a lot of companies, owns several irreplaceable Buicks and likes Hagerty. He is ‘required’ to offer Progressive but he does not like them. His experience is much like Lime’s; they’re absolute Richards to deal with. He says ‘Flo is NOT your friend.’
Patrick

·
Registered
147 Posts
It occured to me that I have a lot of $ tied up in my 68 el Camino project ($10K for the GM performance LS3 and $6K for the Tremec 6-speed just to name a few) and started wondering if my homeowners would cover it in case of fire or theft.
Answer was a hard NO.
So I went with Hagerty's. Good rep and reviews and very fair pricing. I think it was about $250/year for $30K stated value, until I get it on the road and then it will go up a bit.
Good peace of mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went with Costco Connect/American Modern Property and Causality Ins. Co. for my 1966 El Camino with a $30K value, cost was $217. per year with 1000 mile per year usage. I was told unlimited won't be much more...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I've been with Hagerty for over 20 years.Had a small underhood fire this past Summer and was treated very well by them.I picked my own repair shop,summited the repair invoices and had a refund in 3 days.And no deductible cause the damage was caused by fire.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hagerty has always wanted crazy money to do a policy with them for me. I think last time I quoted they wanted something insane like over $2k a year for insuring 2 collector cars with them so I've never dealt with them personally. I did go with Grundy though with agreed upon value and I've been pretty happy overall with them so far.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,841 Posts
I've had Hagerty for more than a decade. Never had a claim. I've used their roadside assistance 2x however. Very easy and they took good care of me. They don't check milage, allow you to insure for an agreed value, and are OK with insuring late model collector vehicles as well. You just need to have a daily driver and a garage to put the collector vehicles in.

Reactions: Caballero Joe

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
768 Posts
Hagerty!
Been with them for 11 yrs, last month i had to have a tow for my '73 toyota corona... great experience...this was my first claim. I ask the same "experience" question for the elcamino back in April "Another Hagerty insurance question". seems the quote i was playing with at that time was @ $375, just checked today and now its @ $310.00. but went all the way up to $424.00. Strange! But, i played a lot with the mileage( seems 3500 per yr is better than the 4000..+/- $80) and the coverage amount . So, just go to the Hagerty web site, play with their quote(add vehicle), pay attention to the mileage and value and see what you are happy with. When doing this and you get your quote click on "no" dont insure now if you want to go back and play more. but when you are ready jus continue with "yes". I need to grab my title with the VIN and all that stuff so i'll be getting the insurance this week.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,841 Posts
Hagerty here. Goes up annually. Getting quotes from Grundy and Condon Skelly before renewing this time.
Unfortunately, everyone is going up. The costs of claims has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years due to inflation. Another factor that's feeding the rate increases is the average claim takes longer as shops have a labor shortage, and it takes longer to get parts. Still, it never hurts to price compare on your coverage every 3 to 5 years at least.

• Helpful
Reactions: The mechanic

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,729 Posts
Unfortunately, everyone is going up. The costs of claims has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years due to inflation. Another factor that's feeding the rate increases is the average claim takes longer as shops have a labor shortage, and it takes longer to get parts. Still, it never hurts to price compare on your coverage every 3 to 5 years at least.
Rush is correct in that you should check your rates regularly . After reading online year after year that you should check your rates , we did . Having 5 vehicles , house , boat etc with Geico for a long time , we shopped around . When we asked them if they would match the price we got from Progressive , the lady wasn`t very interested so we saved $ 700 by changing over . I have had the 87 and now the 59 Camino on an agreed value policy with American Collectors for probably 15 years and satisfied with them on the price . Good news for me is that I have not had a single claim .

Reactions: Hat Trick
1 - 20 of 27 Posts