El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a little smear of glue on the corners and middle of the gaskets then put some bolts to hold it down with the rubber seals on both ends. I put a real thin layer of blue silicon on the block ends and put the rubber gaskets on and let dry. Does this look right? There were 2 extra rubber ends but they had tits sticking straight up maybe for a different engine but the same curves?:nanawrench:

these are the extra ones?

THANKS
ROBERT

I will be putting silicon around the open ports on the gasket and a blob in the four corners

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Looks good ..... be very careful when gou install intake manifold
So rubber ends stay put :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good ..... be very careful when gou install intake manifold
So rubber ends stay put :beer:
That':beer:s why I used the glue to hold the gaskets in place and silicon on the rubber ends and I have the torque pattern
Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think those pieces are for the factory manifold when i put on my edelbrock intake i used the rubber pieces and it leaked a whole lot of oil so i just put a bead of rtv like the instructions said and it didn't leak after that lol.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
those intake gaskets are about the worst to use. in about a year take the intake off and you will find them leaking

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those intake gaskets are about the worst to use. in about a year take the intake off and you will find them leaking

got it I will see about some others. there the only ones that fit the mr gasget didn't have all the port holes?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think those pieces are for the factory manifold when i put on my edelbrock intake i used the rubber pieces and it leaked a whole lot of oil so i just put a bead of rtv like the instructions said and it didn't leak after that lol.

that's what I saw on you tube so I will take the off.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/700/720/720-101B.jpg

ARE THE ROUND ONES RIGHT? FOR MINE ONLY ONE SMALL HOLE?

Mr. Gasket #720-101B

Intake Manifold Gaskets<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">Standard Material<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">262-400ci V8, 1955-91<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">1/16'' Thick<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">Stock Port: 1.25''x 2.00''

$12.99Ships Tomorrow

Click for JEGS Online Price Match
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on myspaceShare on googleShare on twitter

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
those will be better than the felpro. the hole in the center is the exhaust crossover as long as there is a hole it will be fine

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,782 Posts
I don't use the end seals ! I use a nice bead of rtv. Let it set for a few, Then put the intake on !! I use this stuff !!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as stated above throw the rubber end seals in the trash.even the factory doesnt use them anymore. a 1/4 in thick bead of silicone across each end will do the trick.i use ultra black or ultra gray. they seem the best seal over time compared to others. dont silicone around the 8 intake runners as gas eats up silicone and will give you a leak in time. i use red permatex around the intake ports and silicone around the water ports and the ends

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as stated above throw the rubber end seals in the trash.even the factory doesnt use them anymore. a 1/4 in thick bead of silicone across each end will do the trick.i use ultra black or ultra gray. they seem the best seal over time compared to others. dont silicone around the 8 intake runners as gas eats up silicone and will give you a leak in time. i use red permatex around the intake ports and silicone around the water ports and the ends
I didn't use the rubber only RTV. I think I may take it off and get the other gasket don't need any problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes no rubber . the factory quit useing them in the late 70 s. first they were cork then rubber now silicone. wipe all surfaces with brake cleaner then silicone it and assemble it

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I disagree, but it is irrelevant, any gasket installed wrong will leak - Up until I pulled the vette motor to be installed in the Elco I was in my 6th year of those exact same gaskets, there is nothing wrong with them in my opinion. However opinions are like...well you know.

For example if you were to aqsk my opinion I would tell you to not waste your money on Mr. Gasket gaskets because they are crap, but then others will come along and say they are the bees-knees - doesnt matter.

For intake gaskets here is how I install them to ensure long leak free life.

1. wipe down all gasket surfaces with brake cleaner or paint ppre spray (prepsol)
  2. apply a VERY thin application of silicone around water jacket ports ONLY - just a skin of rtv around these ports
  3. apply gaske-cinch (edelbrock or permatex) to head surfaces around ports and bolt holts - just a thin covering, be careful not to get any n the ports - try not to get any in places where the gasket doesnt cover - it looks tacky when dried on bare metal
  4. let gaske-cinch get tacky to touch
  5. apply intake gasket to head - press down on gasket to ensure its held in place by the glue - apply pressure around water jacket ports to ensure full spread of rtv
  6. repeat on other side
  7. apply large enough bead of silicone on front and back rails - 1/4" is usually enough
  8. apply very thin layer of rtv around water jacket ports - little more than a skin of rtv
  9. install manifold before RTV on front and back rails skin - you want the rtv to adhere to both surfaces, block and intake
  10. tighten/torque bolts per manual
  11. any rtv that pooches out front and rear should be wiped off
  12. inspect with flashlight the front and rear rails to ensure full sealing. (engine on stand of course)
I've installed intake gaskets like this since the late 70's and have NEVER had an intake gasket fail.

I dont care which gasket you use, in the end if installed properly they should all work. do not go overboard on RTV around the water jacket ports, or end rails either if you can help it. nice thing about the engine on the stand is you can inspect the seal of the end rails after the manifold is installed.

If you want a really clean install of RTV, in your case with the black engine, use black RTV - apply blue painters tape to the leading edge of the manifold, when you wipe off the excess rtv it will get on the tape and not your new manifold then just peel the painters tape off.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
As far as RTV.......for the money, IMO i think your best bet is to go to a GM dealer and get yourself a tube of GMS (General Motors Sealant). Its the factory stuff, none better.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts